Sunday, January 27, 2008

Better late than never.

I would like to take a moment to wish you all a Happy Belated Paul Newman Day! Mr. Newman's birthday is on the 26th of January and it has been my custom for the past ten years to celebrate it and spread the word about this merriest of holidays. Somehow I let the day pass by without even eating a single Newman O. I felt horrible about my neglect. The more I thought about it the more I realized that the spirit of Paul Newman Day doesn't exist on the calendar, it dwells within our hearts. And so, it doesn't matter when we celebrate it, as long as we take some time to enjoy the little joy he brings into our humdrum lives.

Here are just a few ways that you can have a Happy Paul Newman Day:

-Rent "Cool Hand Luke" and watch it while enjoying a bag of Newman's Own microwave popcorn.
-Rent "The Sting" and watch it while dipping Newman O's in milk.
-Rent "Hudsucker Proxy" and watch it while eating pasta topped with Newman's Own spagetti sauce.
-Go to McDonald's and get a salad topped with Newman's Own salad dressing and speed on your way home. (Newman's really into car racing.)
-Watch "Cars" with your kids and then tell them that the old car used to be one hot hunk of man.
-Watch "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and pretend you get it.

These are just some quick ideas I jotted down for you. Truly there are no rules to celebrating this joyous day. Make it your own. Make it Newman's Own.

Happy Paul Newman Day to you and yours!

P.S. Nobody can eat 50 eggs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL7Vc1QG_BE

1 Wisecracks:

Katy said...

you crack me up so bad! How can I ever start a blog now knowing it will never be as clever as yours? Happy Paul Newman day. I celebrated by turning 32.