Friday, August 29, 2008

She Followed Him to School One Day


Harrison started kindergarten yesterday. As I was tucking him into bed the night before, he whispered to me, "Mommy, I'm a little apprehensive about school." I told him if he knew what "apprehensive" means, he's probably going to do fine in kindergarten.

I walked him to school the next morning and fought back tears the whole way. I watched him walk toward the playground and get smaller and smaller while it seemed the other kids were getting bigger and bigger.

Later in the afternoon, I was listening to "Into the Woods" in the car. The song "Children Will Listen" came on and I completely lost it. I found myself wishing I had taught him more about how to take care of himself when I wasn't around. He's just so little!

He had a wonderful first day and I'm sure he'll figure out how to get along without me. Or maybe that's the real reason I can't stop crying.

6 Wisecracks:

Unknown said...

Yesterday Sophie told me she thought of Harrison when during "rest time" at school. Why? I have no idea. But it was a nice thought.

What a brave mom you are. I say that because I never really thought it would be that hard to sent my kids to the wolves--I mean to school. I know how it feels. I think it is harder on the mom than the child.

Syrena is doing great, but Sophie has had a hard time getting used to being with out syrena. She's never really had to fend for herself before. She says she spends the whole recess swinging on the swings.

I have never wanted to be a fly on the wall so bad in my life!

Kimberly said...

You are the awesomest. I think that the thing I am not going to like about sending my kids to school is the fact that I won't be in charge of them for once. What??!!?!? Give the kids a squeeze for me. And I have some great baby Harrison pictures if you need to get more crying out of your system.

KQ said...

I'm a little apprehensive about the vocabulary you're teaching your children :)
You're awesome!

melissa said...

I can assure you, k.q., that I have taught him very little. Most of what he's learned is from computer games and PBS.

Patti said...

That is one of the greatest "off to the first day of school" pictures I have every seen. It gave my heart a big tug. :D

Jen said...

Aw, 'Bliss. That is so sweet. Ben just asked our 2nd grader if he was "apprehensive" about school and he said "Huh?!?"