Tuesday, September 2, 2008

College Road Trip

Okay, secretly it was a trip to Chubbuck to visit my parents, but "Chubbuck Road Trip" sounds dumb. The kids and I went to visit my parents in their new house this past weekend. On our way up to Idaho, we stopped in Logan, Utah to pick up my little brother, Aaron, at Utah State University. What a pretty drive that is! Who knew?

Mom and Dad's new house is really nice and I can't wait to see it all put together. The kids enjoyed playing in the plastic covered couch fort. I'm sure it's totally safe.

Harrison's main mission was to find the Thomas trains and the most inconvenient place to play with them. Mission accomplished.


The hot tub wasn't up and running, so the kids went to the seedy underbelly of Chubbuck where an old hustler taught them how to play pool.

On the way home, we passed through Preston, Idaho but didn't have time to take the "Napoleon Dynamite" tour. Worst day of my life, what do you think?! GOSH!

We did have time to stop at the Pepperidge Farm Thrift Store so Aaron could buy them out. The cashier told me my brother had a sweet spirit. Weird, but nice.

We dropped Aaron off at school with the loot he scored in Chubbuck. Nice haul, Aaron-lou!

I passed the Logan Temple, where my parents were married and risked everyone's lives to take this shot. (I guess I could have just found one on the Internet, now that I think of it.)

The drive home was as beautiful as the drive up and I brought everyone home alive. Success!

8 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

I've been waiting on pins and needles for this report. Doesn't Aaron look so cute acting like a college student? (He's still 4 years-old to me.) Glad you had fun. (Where are the pictures from Golden Corral?)

melissa said...

for the first time in ten years I went to Pocatello without going to Golden Corral. We were there Sunday and Monday and since Sunday is the Sabbath and Grandma doesn't do Mondays, my evil genius plan worked!

Kasey Q said...

I like the "old hustler."

Allison and Noah Riley said...

I loved this post. Probably because it invovled three of my favorite things... Pine View apartments, the Pepperidge Farm rejects store and a new couch. I've never had a new couch, but I can imagine what it might be like if I did.

Aaron and Collin are living in my old freshman stomping ground. It's not a distinction I can claim all my own... in fact, every single Furniss kid lived in Pine View during his/her USU reign. We don't get points for originality around our place. But we have MASTERED the tried but true mentality.

allyn said...

okay, that picture of the kids on the couch covered with plastic kind of scared me, but the hustler coaching pool under the budlight sign...it's a toss up.
please don't tell me that mom bought aaron some pots and pans. that came from the pepperidge farm reject store, right?

melissa said...

Hopefully it's clear that there are holes bigger than the children in the plastic couch fort.

And, yes, Mom did buy him pots and pans. Or maybe he actually paid for them. But four guys sharing one pot is stupid and he got a great deal on it.

Patti said...

Man, all the fun road trips are to Idaho! Now that the kids have pool skills you can do a little hustling on the side, kind of like Paul Newman meets Tatum O'Neal. Good clean family fun! :D

Katy said...

Melissa, your blog makes me so happy. I'm so glad to see you putting your wise-cracking skills to use.