Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Giving Thanks

When we realized we weren't going to be able to travel anywhere for Thanksgiving this year, I was happy/sad.  We had never been in our own home for Thanksgiving and, therefore, I had never had the pleasure of making my own Thanksgiving dinner.  But Thanksgiving is a time to be with family and without family, you're pretty much just eating a lot of carbs for no reason.  Luckily, my sister-in-law Aubrie called last month to say that her family would be making all of our dreams come true by joining us for Turkey Day.  Huzzah!

As you may know by now, the dinner part of Thanksgiving is very much secondary to the pie part of Thanksgiving in our family.  Wednesday, we celebrated Pie Day with 10 delicious pies (one for each of us).  They were all delicious and the only pie that gave us trouble was the lemon meringue, which I had to start over four times.  That meant we had a lot of egg whites for meringue.

I came into the kitchen and found Chloe's Lemon Meringue doll sitting next to my Mile-High Lemon Meringue Pie, thus creating a charming tableau. 

The next day, after doing unspeakable things to a turkey, we enjoyed a delicious meal.  Everything turned out great and I enjoyed my nap afterwards.
The kid table.  Please note the turkey shaped rolls.  Please.  I worked hard on them.

Jeff presents the turkey at the grown up table.
Photo by Harrison.

The next day it got up to 70 degrees, so we all headed to the park to work off some calories.

The greatest game of football ever played.

"Melissa!  Take a picture of me!  Take a picture of me, Melissa!  Take a picture!"  Silly Justin.  Like you have to ask.

Chloe and Nathan

This picture makes my heart happy.


The next day, the little boys were fighting over the wooden trains, so we picked them up and carried them away to The Train Store (where they were free to fight over trains with strangers).


Even grownups can't resist The Train Store.

We had a great weekend eating pie, staying up late, playing MarioKart, dressing up, having tea parties, swinging on swings, and watching Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension (overandoverandover again).  Thanks for making our dreams come true, Ted and Aubrie!

8 Wisecracks:

elizabeth said...

I hate, hate my computer. It keeps crashing in the middle of my comments. I had a really nice long comment praising you and your thanksgiving feast, but now I am bitter at the Internet. Just imagine lots of praise followed by...how did you get that much meringue so perfectly browned??

Patti said...

What a lovely Thanksgiving weekend! All the pictures made my heart happy, especially the one with the rolls shaped like turkeys (just in case someone didn't notice).

Unknown said...

Any time! Thanks for cooking all the tasty food!

Jess said...

That meal looks fabulous- especially that tall meringue? Candy is a lemon meringue master and it's not that big... :) I like the thought of a pie per guest. I am adding that to my to-do list next year.

melissa said...

Thanks for noticing, Patti!

Thanks for bringing apple pie, Aubrie. That truly made my Thanksgiving dreams come true.

Heather McKeon said...

Now I want to go to the train store. And eat more pie.

The Reiersens said...

Where is this so called train store that I've yet to hear of? It looks awesome and free!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I love the picture by Harrison and the picture of Miles!! How are you doing this rounded corners of the picture thing? I love it! :D