Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sea of Monsters. Mountain of Doom.


The sweet woman who lives next door likes to give my kids soda.  I'm not opposed to soda, but the only kind she keeps in her fridge is Mountain Dew.  That's a lot of caffeine for little guys.  Our friend's kid was playing at our house once and my neighbor gave all of the kids ice cream bars and Mountain Dew.  When he related the story to his parents later, he said that "The neighbor lady gave us all ice cream and Mountain of Doom!"  Awesome.

We finished reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan.  I'm really in love with the Percy Jackson series.  In this book, Percy and his friends have to find the Golden Fleece in the sea of monsters in order to save Camp Half-Blood.  I love the mix of modern storytelling and Greek mythology.  Harrison has read everything by Rick Riordan and apparently the rest of his books do the same thing with Roman and Egyptian gods.  Very cool.  The chapters can be a bit long for younger kids and the subject matter didn't appeal much to Chloe, but she still enjoyed it.  Miles now joins us for story time, but spends most of the time jumping on the bed and getting into my jewelry.  I just asked him if he likes Percy Jackson and he said, "Yep."  There you go.

5 Wisecracks:

wendy holt said...

HA!!! He still calls it that. I think about correcting him but it makes me laugh every time. Thanks neighbor lady.

Nicole said...

WHAT?! Mountain of Doom for a little kid is a bad idea. They already have more energy than me! Bridget has still never tasted the sweet nectar of caffeine. I've made her believe that it's gross for kids, not for Mama. Sucka!

I'm still laughing at the last post. Shriners...

KQ said...

I need a neighbor like that!

allyn said...

Once again you have managed to capture in photos the exact thoughts of your kids. To quote Audrey "nana" Harrison, it's uncanny.
Emma likes to order dr. Pepper when we are out to eat with the in- laws. Grandmother's reaction is pretty hilarious.

Unknown said...

hehehehe, those picture are amazingly awesome and I think Mountain Dew should be re-named for sure! :) Maybe we should buy your neighbor a case or a couple cases of sprite?!?

Great idea about the percy jackson series, I'm gettin' a little tired of star wars chapter books, lol. Although the Jedi Quest series is pretty good!