Saturday, June 23, 2012

I Can't Miss You If You Don't Leave

I love my kids.  I really do.  But I also love missing my kids.  Spending a little time apart gives me a chance to take a breath and remember why I love them so much.  Even when they were babies and someone else would hold them for a moment, I would look at my baby from across the room and think, "Awww.  I love that kid."  It was easy to forget what they looked like when they weren't six inches from my face. 

So, I love my kids and love spending time with them, but if we never spend any time apart, I can't miss them.  For that reason, this summer is making me bonkers.  All of this togetherness has taken its toll.  I can't keep anything straight and my kids are constantly on each other's nerves.  My countdown to our vacation seemed like such a grand idea, but I forgot that one of the reasons it works so well in December is that the kids are in school half of the month.  Ah, school.  I remember school . . .

Many of our activities have gone well (Yay for jam!) and some have not (Boo craft time!), but I know they're having a summer they'll never forget.  Our backup activity (in case it rains, or a million people are also going to the concert at the Botanical Gardens, or Harrison breaks a window pain and has to get eight stitches in his arm and can't go swimming for two weeks, etc) has been to go to Lion's Choice for $0.15 frozen custard cones.  They haven't done much for my beach bod, but they've been great for morale. 

The best is when Jeff is around to join us on our adventures.  It's nice when we can tag-team the fun.  Like at last night's Dive In Movie at the pool.  I only had my camera phone with me, so sorry these aren't very clear.


One more week until our vacation begins.  Let's DO THIS!

4 Wisecracks:

Unknown said...

One of the many reasons I am loving year round school. I'm just sayin.' It is so true that every Mamma needs time to recharge and miss her kids! What an exciting summer though! Sorry 'bout the stiches!! .15 custard cones!?!?! I'm ready to move! ;)

Patti said...

It looks like you had the pool almost to yourselves. Bonus! Hope this week flies by.

allyn said...

WORD. TO. YOUR. MOTHER.

Mallen said...

Miles's picture with your sunglasses on is the cutest thing I've seen all week! Have fun on your vacation.