Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Crazy For Feelin' So Lonely

Jeff has been out of town a lot doing interviews for his residency and intern year. That means he's spent a lot of time in lonely hotel rooms and I've spent a lot of lonely nights in the crazy house (aka my apartment).

I think I hit my limit last Saturday after my children were psychos at a birthday party. When I got home I told Jeff I was going out and I would probably come back. I spent some time clearing my head and trying to figure out where I went wrong and how to fix the mess I'd made.

Here are a few things I've discovered about myself and ways I'm going to change:
1. Sometimes I go out and buy things to make myself feel better. From now on, I'm going to stay in and buy things online to make myself feel better.
2. I tend to eat a lot of ice cream when Jeff is away. From now on, I'll eat a lot of Swiss chocolate when Jeff is away.
3. Instead of flipping through the channels all night waiting until I'm good and tired to retire to bed, I'll find one Lifetime movie and stick with it all night.
4. Instead of sitting my children in front of the t.v. watching kids shows so I can get a break from them, I'm going to sit my children in front of the t.v. watching Christmas movies so I can get a break from them.
5. I need to stop bribing my kids with candy and surprises and just play the "You don't want to be on Santa's Naughty List do you?" card.

Actually I discovered that we all need to spend more time together and making an effort to do so has already made a difference in our home. Over the past couple of days, there has been more laughter than tears and that's all I could have hoped for.

Here's Harrison helping Daddy hang the stockings with care.

7 Wisecracks:

Lindsay said...

I feel your pain! I honestly, actually, for the first time in my life, watched a Lifetime Christmas movie ALL THE WAY THROUGH tonight to make myself 'less-lonely'! So, I REALLY laughed when I read that! (It was AWFUL, by the way...now I remember why I never actually stick with them...)

We may be putting our dues in now (and for the next couple of years), but give us some time and we'll be livin' up the good life as doctors' wives whose husbands are HOME! (Yay for radiology and ophthalmology!)

melissa said...

Thanks, Lindsay. Hope you're surviving, too!

Nicole said...

Great post! I do the same stuff when Brian goes on business trips. Except Bridget won't watch TV. Maybe she'd watch a Lifetime movie if there was a horse in it.

Nicole said...

Btw, where is the Captain Picard Christmas Carol movie in the poll? That's a good one.

Kristi said...

I'll be glad for you guys when this interviewing is over! Your post cracked me up though, I loved our new resolutions.:) I also think your mother-in-law is amazing with the Thanksgiving pies (refering to a previous post) and was wondering if we can get invited to a Maxwell Family Thanksgiving sometime?

Kate said...

Aren't we a sad bunch! I watched a Carol Christmas on Hallmark last week-thanks for the recommendation, it was super. Lifetime movies would be an upgrade, maybe I'll try that this week!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your blog site!! It makes me laugh out loud and smile all day!

Eddie and I just giggled through it on a totally snowy morning in Utah!! (We have 9 inches so far and still coming down - you should have seen me on the freeway last night! What a pistol Grandma!!)

Keep having a wonderful Christmas!!