Monday, January 21, 2008

"Golly, Wilber! What's that whait junk fallin' from tha sky?"

This past week we experienced a typical North Carolina "snow storm" complete with live minute-by-minute coverage and closings of schools and businesses. I believe some areas saw as much as two whole inches of snow! I know that people who aren't from around here think North Carolinians are wimps when it comes to snow, and for good reason. Any time there's a chance of snow, the whole area shuts down and people run to the store for bread, eggs, and milk. (Because what's a snow storm without french toast?) What these newcomers don't understand is that for every three or four exaggerated forecasts, there's one doozy of a snowstorm. Such as:

Winter Wonderland '00: This storm started out as most do here. At first we were thrilled to see snow.

Then we realized we had no way of getting out of our driveway unless we got rid of the snow. Since this sort of thing happens so rarely, no one owns snow shovels. I'm not sure anyone sells snow shovels. So we make do, as demonstrated by my father in the picture below (wearing dress pants, gardening gloves, a camping hat, and using a rake).

After about four days of being cooped up in the house, my sister Makenzie and I go crazy and do things like give each other makeovers.

(Please note how I made her over and how she made me over. P.S. She is a Mary Kay saleswoman now.)

Romantic Freeze of '02: Jeff and I were engaged and heard there was a blizzard headed our way. How would we ever live through it apart? We wouldn't! We devised a plan in which I would "accidently" get stuck at his house. In order to make it look believable, I couldn't bring extra clothes. I was stuck for three days at his house where his mom washed my underwear and I went without makeup or hair products.

Yes, make no mistake, scary things happen when it really snows around here.

5 Wisecracks:

Rich said...

hahaha...

so true Melissa, so true. The trapped in a blizzard, can't get home manuever is classic!!!

Anonymous said...

Irony of ironies, we had, oh I don't know, 8 inches of snow today. And, true to form, I donned my funny hat and dress pants, probably the same ones as in the old family photo and shoveled, not raked, the lawn again. Mom's face hurts from laughing.

Nicole said...

Ha! I was just going to say that we need more picture of Dad's crazy "work clothes" get-ups. It seems like I caught him gardening in dress pants last summer. (And he wondered why I was so fascinated to see him in jeans a few months ago.)

Lindsay said...

That picture of your dad is HILARIOUS! And I'm happy to hear he's still sporting the fashion!

Greg said...

Seriously laughed my hiney off!!
Makeovers! A staple of sister time!