Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Madness Begins

March Madness will take over our house tomorrow. I wasn't familiar with The Madness before I got married. (Things you forget to ask.) I thought I understood what it meant to be a sports fan. I remembered my dad being really into sports. In actuality, he usually just turned the game on and took a nap.

Jeff and I got married in February so I was introduced to The Madness early on. I got used to the idea that if someone was playing a game, we would be watching it. I could have paraded around the house wearing nothing but a smile, and it wouldn't have made a difference. I realized I couldn't beat The Madness, so I gave into it. I filled out my brackets on Selection Sunday and followed each game hoping my randomly chosen favorite team (Marquette) would go all the way. When they lost in the Final Four I actually felt a wave of sadness. (I believe I sent Jeff out to get me a milkshake.) That's when I knew I was infected.


I'd like to use this space to encourage those of you who aren't familiar with conference champions and sweet sixteens and Marquette to go to your local newspaper or to Yahoo! Sports Monday morning and fill out your NCAA Championship brackets. It makes those Creighton vs. Villanova games much more interesting. And be sure to stick around for the "One Shining Moment" tournament montage. If you don't cry a little, then you're dead inside.

8 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

Every time I see a baseball game on TV, I fall asleep immediately. (Is that Dwayne Wade playing for Marquette? Speaking of knowing too much about sports...) Didn't my husband win the family bracket last year? It would figure if he did and the prize was satisfaction yet again. When your husband has a fantasy golf team, you can talk about being dead inside.

Rich said...

WOOOOOOO!!!

melissa said...

FANTASY GOLF? BAHAHAHAHAHA! Yes, that is Dwayne Wade. A cookie for you.

meredith.campbell said...

Hi Melissa! I saw your comments on my blog, but at first I thought they were from my cousin Melissa. I was a little worried when I read the comment, "I have a daughter for them to meet." A little too close in the family line! Now I'm comforted knowing it came from you! Are you a Marquette fan? My husband got into dental school there.

melissa said...

Hilarious! Congrats to your husband! Though I know nothing about Marquette, I'm sure they'd be lucky to have him.

Kimberly said...

Whee! Somehow I thought when we threw away our five million year old TV that Ricky wouldn't be able to watch sports anymore. He outsmarted me and set up the computer to get High Def sports. Greaattttttttt.

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

I miss NC...it's all football around here!

Kristi said...

I love the Madness as well. Honestly, next to Christmas this is my favorite time of year.:)