Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Walter the Big, Bad, Silent Wolf


Last Saturday we had our preschool graduation. I wrote a play version of The Three Little Pigs for the kids to perform. Harrison played Walter, the wolf, and the three girls played the three pigs. Rehearsals were a bit hectic, but every time I sat down with Harrison to go over his lines, he knew them perfectly. At home he was constantly asking if we could practice the play. On the day of the performance, I had the kids go over their lines in the dressing room. Harrison didn't miss one line.

The play started and all was well until Harrison made his entrance, saw the audience, and froze. I spent what felt like an eternity coaxing him to keep going, but he wouldn't budge. I was playing the part of the Narrator, so I continued the play like this:

ME: Then Walter knocked on Pinky's door and said, "Little Pig, Little Pig, let me in!"
PINKY: No! Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin!
ME: Walter said, "Then I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll BLOW your house in!" Walter blew Pinky's house down and chased her into Polly's house . . .

The girls did a great job pretending there was a wolf there.

Despite the fact that my son is not Broadway bound, I am really proud of everything he's learned in preschool this year. Last night he read a book to Chloe at bedtime all by himself!

Teaching preschool with Chelsea and Rachael has been delightful. Thanks, ladies! I'll miss you and your darling children!

5 Wisecracks:

Greg said...

You are not alone Harrison, I also am a sufferer of stage-freightitis.

Nicole said...

I'm going to miss the preschool stories. I love the pictures (and the new background)! You need to start another school of rock when you get here. :)

allyn said...

at least he looked good in his muzzle.

Unknown said...

And at least he took his cues and moved when you said his lines! So that is a relief ;) hehehe Too funny. What gorgeous preschool teachers you all are!

Uno Kidney said...

I totally Heart Walter.