Friday, June 13, 2008

SOCCER? I don't even KNOW her!

In an effort to keep Harrison from going MAD we signed him up for soccer in the 3-4 year-old league at the local rec center. Last night was his first game and it went a little something like this:


Before the game Harrison warms up and is amazed by his own talent for scoring points (in an unprotected goal with no one else around).

The game begins and they're off! The blue team immediately scores a point . . . for the yellow team.

By halftime Harrison has done a great job of getting the ball away from the other team and kicking it in the right direction, but he is very discouraged that he hasn't scored a point. We try to emphasize teamwork as he refuels.

Midway through the second half of the game, Harrison comes crying to the sidelines and says he is giving up. "I'm good when I practice, but I'm not good here," he says.

I tell Harrison he doesn't get the team treat if he doesn't play with the team. He gets his head back in the game.
After ending up on the bottom of a few preschool pile-ups, he is officially done. He finishes the game with Daddy and Great-grandpa Peterson on the sidelines.
Harrison decides that next time he'll play goalie.

10 Wisecracks:

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Wow - I feel like your stalker, my Google Reader was up when you posted this, I swear. Hence the very rapid reply! (Don't know that admitting my Google Reader list makes me less stalkerish...)

I'm excited you're in Utah! Off the record (read: email me so you don't have to tell the whole blogosphere) where are you guys living? riley.alli@gmail.com

Jen said...

Does H look like Aaron in the 5th picture? Love the gear-! Soccer is the bane of my existence right now.

Ashley said...

I love this, you are hilarious. Can you believe there are crazy parents who scream at the refs at those 3-4 yr old games?

Nicole said...

Oh, Melissa. You are KILLING me! That was the cutest post ever. Harrison looks like a pro. I'm so excited to see the Yellow Team play in person.

allyn said...

you are very brave to enter the world of soccer with the almost 4 year old. i haven't dared with any of my kids, yet. his uniform is very cool, though. maybe is will be worth it just to have that.
the captions are hilarious. he looks all big and tough in all of them and then you see the picture of jeff holding him and you see he is just a little boy.

melissa said...

Secretly he is almost five. He turns five on the day of the last game. I was worried that he was going to be bigger than the kids and knock them all down. And he kind of is.

Unknown said...

Haha- Aydan tried soccer last year at the ripe old age of 5. It was probably more entertainment than anything else- all of those little people running around randomly. You are a brave soul!

Kristi said...

It looks like you won't have to sit through heat, rain, sleet, snow in order to watch soccer games. We stuck with indoor sports and that worked for us.:)

Unknown said...

Hahahaha. I love it. Classic pictures too. Can't wait to start with the soccer as well...

allyn said...

i totally thought i was writing that he was almost 5. i was thinking it. why didn't i write it? i know how old he is and that we are totally going to be there for his birthday! first time.