Saturday, August 16, 2008

Two Crazy Redheads

When I was younger, my family lived in Utah for a few years. My best friend from those years was a fellow crazy redhead named Emily. We spent our days walking to the Apple store (a gas station) for penny candy, recording audio tapes of our scripted game shows, and swapping "He looked at me" stories about boys we were crushing on. My favorite memory is when we collaborated on a musical script entitled "Annie: A Comedy." Since we were both clearly perfect for the role of Little Orphan Annie, we agreed to share the role and let each girl play Annie in every other scene. (The idea that this may be confusing to our future Broadway audiences never occurred to us. It was all about the friendship, man.)

Before I moved to NC, Emily wrote me what is still one of my favorite poems:
Best Friends
Two crazy red heads; the perfect pair
Could never get over their great hair.
They had adventures together forabout
A year but now moving time is near.
It takes a lot to be someones best
friend, and my best friend is the best.
She's funny and nice and cute and sweet.
She's my best friend, and can't be beat.
Yo baby yo baby yo baby, yo yo,
I'm gonna be sad to see you go,
I love you to death! WRITE ME-K-

Last week I got to thinking about Emily and wondering what she might be up to these days. It turns out she lives here still, so we got together yesterday. We met at the Apple store (she with her three kids and me with my two) and headed to the park for lunch.

The boys formed a secret club (called "Secret Club") where they did secret stuff like eat Ring Pops.

Top: Harrison, Owen, and Max in the clubhouse. Bottom: Ethan, the oldest of the handsome, little devils.

Top: Chloe whining about wanting a Ring Pop. Bottom: Maxwell and Maxwell: together at last!

L-R: Preggo Emily, Owen, Ethan, Max, and Harrison ride the buffalo.

Just the girls: Emily, Melissa, and Chloe.

9 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

How sweet to see Emily again! I know she was officially scared of me back in the day, but I always thought she was so cute. Wasn't she the one who hid in her family's garbage can and had someone roll her over to our house so that she could surprise you? Now THAT is funny!

Ashley said...

I remember very little about you guys living in Utah, but I do remember that Apple store. Probably because candy was involved. And I remember a house with a rainbow driveway on the walk there.

allyn said...

I am so glad you found her. how fun! please tell me she doesn't still live in WX. Her boys are handsome. She was the funniest. you guys were a perfect pair.

melissa said...

She definitely hid in her garbage can to surprise me! Hilarious.

A rainbow driveway? Doesn't ring any bells, Ashley. Anybody?

Emily does live in WX. Her parents are in their same house and she lives South of the Apple.

It looks different now. Except the Apple. They still had VHS movies for rent! HAHAHAHA

Kristina P. said...

Melissa, I'm so glad you commented on my blog, and was able to make a funny comment. I replied, but your blog appears to be very family friendly, so I don't want to repeat it here. :)

I hope you stick around. I'm an excellent blog stalker too. Just ask Nicole. :)

Jen said...

No Way! That is awesome- I can't believe how much she looks like her mother. I know exactly the rainbow driveway (crazy memory, Ash!) as it was the scene of one of my funniest date moments- the guy forgot that the driveway was rainbow shaped and backed into a telephone pole!

Ashley said...

Oh good, I was afraid I fabricated another memory. Rainbow shaped, not colored. You really don't remember? And more importantly, why do I remember that so clearly?

Kimberly said...

See how much fun you are having in Utah? Aren't you secretly wanting to stay there forever? You could have stayed back here in NC, but everyone moved away so no fun reunions for you..........Have fun fun fun!

Aguilar Family said...

Oh my gosh! You guys think I look like my mom? That makes me feel old. Don't get me wrong...my mom is smokin'! I looked at all of your blogs and you all look fabulous and your kids are very, very cute! Nicole...I did hide in a garbage can. That's something I've never told anyone. Where were my parents? Seriously. Allyn, I do live in WX, but my husband is from California, does that count? Hope you are all doing well!