Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Dawn of a New Day

One of my goals for the new year is to post a weekly photography assignment.  I have no desire to be a professional photographer, but I would like to be a better photographer and learn new editing techniques.  I read about a book called A Year of Mornings where two women 3,191 miles apart snap pictures before 10 a.m.  It sounded interesting to me, so I decided to do that this past week. 


Breakfast Time

Another one of my goals for the year is to plant something and not kill it.  That would be huge for me.  If any of you gardeners out there have some suggestions I could use them.  I have a pretty window box that grows spiderwebs right now.  What looks good in a window box?

Miles tries to eat his way out.

We have a huge basement with built in shelving and I would like to organize it this year.  Right now it's a diskoteque for camel crickets and that ain't cool.

No School Today

I'm going to lose ten pounds this year.  I guess.  Maybe.  Jeff's family decided we should all lose ten pounds in 2010.  I don't know how one does this without first having a baby, but I'll give it a go since there's no "I" in family.  Wait . . .


Icicles

I also plan to teach my kids to tie their shoes.  I don't even buy shoes with laces because it will add ten minutes to my day.  My time is money.


The Wee Small Hours of the Morning

My last goal is to make sure the dishes get done at night so I won't have to greet this every morning:

Drudgery

17 Wisecracks:

Mom said...

All excellent, attainable goals! You can do it! It took me years to realize I hated facing the dirty dishes in the morning, so get them done at night. I predict a lot of blackmail pictures that are taken before 10 a.m.!

Annie Jarman said...

I love that icicle photo. Gorgeous.

And if I wasn't so lazy and dreading a years worth of grumpy faced children photos, I might join you in your 10:00 am picture quest. Best of luck to you, though. :)

melissa said...

Oh, I wasn't going to take morning pictures for a year. That was just my self-imposed assignment for this past week. I'll do something else next week, see.

allyn said...

i also love the icicles. very catching. the rest of them were amazing, too, but i pick that one for the best.
go goal girl!

koryn said...

Ha! Those "blackmail" pictures eventually turn into "Gosh I looked great 10 years ago!"

Do we live three-something-something-thousand miles away from each other? Not quite (I goggled it) but perhaps I should try this one. Or maybe the 10 lbs, or maybe the dishes at night, or maybe . . .

Annie Jarman said...

Oh good! I wasn't going to say it, but a photo every day is HARD. I've tried. And failed. Multiple times. There are only so many pictures of toys and disheveled children that a hard drive can handle.

wendy holt said...

I also want to teach Bradley to tie shoes. How does one do this?

Nicole said...

Is your box in the sun or the shade? If it's shade, do impatiens. Sun, the trailing-viney petunias maybe?

Photography is your thing, man. You've got an artists eye for color and composition. Seriously. Even better than your tulip drawing from grade school. :)

Jess said...

Those sound like great goals. I have the same one for the dishes.

Jen said...

I took the same approach to shoe tying and now my almost-twelve-year-old can't tie shoes! It's embarrassing. Thank goodness for those knot tying boy scouts.

Remember when Mom decided that "we all" needed to loose weight?

Mom said...

No, I don't! When did I decide that? It never works to decide for someone else, besides, you guys never needed to lose weight! It was probably just me who needed to lose weight.
I also predict that Miles will eventually eat his way out.:)

melissa said...

I don't remember that, either. It sounds wonderful.

Nicole, my window box is usually in the shade. When should I plant impatients?

Nicole said...

Flimsy memory, Mom. You were always saying "we" need to lose some weight. The royal "we" perhaps? :)

Mother's Day weekend is a good time to plant impatiens. We'll talk more - but that's plenty of time to plan, yes?

kenzie said...

I don't buy shoes with laces either. Though, my kid isn't 6. I can see myself never buying shoes with laces, because time IS money.

elizabeth said...

You are taking beautiful photos! I think I am subconsciously copying your blog, I always knew you were a blog genius.

Anonymous said...

I too have a black thumb! I think you should try some herbs. Rosemary and thyme are really hardy, so they hold up when I neglect them, and basil grows like crazy and is pretty forgiving, and sooo great to have fresh in the summer!

Jen said...

Thank you, Nicole!