Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Favorites

When I was in college I spent most of my time in the theater.  The department was very small and we got to know each other very well.  There were five of us that my friend MK nicknamed "The Favorites."  I was never clear if that was because we were the director's favorites or each other's favorites.  (Both were true.)  Here we are in a play called "Time and the Conways":


L-R: (Jim), Me, MK, Liz, Carey (Micah), and Annya.
It was a play about social revolution in Britain during World War I . . . or tea parties.  I don't really remember.

During my sophomore year we went on a theater trip to New York City.  It was my first time in the Big Apple and the first thing we did when we got off the plane was head to NBC studios to see a taping of Late Night With Conan O'Brien.  As you can imagine, it was hilarious.  I couldn't believe I was there.    New York!  Conan O'Brien and Andy Richter!  (Yes, it was a long time ago.  Andy was still his sidekick.) 

L-R: Liz, MK, Feimster (she was an alternate Favorite), Annya, and Me before we saw Rent.  (Or maybe it's after.  I do look rather pale and repentant.)

A few years ago when Annya turned 30 she decided she wanted to do something spectacular.  She flew us out to L.A. where she was living at the time and put us up in a hotel in Hollywood. 


Liz, Me, (sleeping baby Chloe), Annya, and MK in Hollywood.

Our first day in Hollywood we went to a taping of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.  As you can imagine, it wasn't funny.  We spent the whole time passing notes about where we wanted to eat dinner afterwards.  (I'M WITH COCO!)


Feimster, Annya, MK's cleavage, MK, Liz, and Me after The Tonight Show.

Annya came into town on Monday and asked if we could take her to the arch.  It turns out there's a whole big, super boring museum underneath that thing.  The kids and I made sure she saw every animatronic tour guide there.  I guess this makes us even stevens for the whole Hollywood birthday party, eh, Annya?


The Arch (I swear it's there!), Me and Annya.  (Photography by Harrison.)

Aftewards Annya came to our house and she and Chloe reenacted their favorite scenes from "Time and the Conways."

4 Wisecracks:

Mom said...

Such memories! It's great to see these pictures and remember your good friends. Fun times.:)

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

How fun!
I love getting visits from old friends.........but it doesn't happen often.
Lucky you!!!

Nicole said...

Look at you two working awesome scarves. You both look grown up. Except for that superhero get-up Annya's got on in the last photo.

elizabeth said...

I'm with coco too. I say you're totally even