Friday, February 19, 2010

Serenity Now!

I try not to bring a load of negativity into this blog.  I consider this a scrapbook of the good times.  My life isn't always sunshine and poppies, but I don't want to make this a place where I rant about it.  I hope to make this blog into a keepsake book and I'd hate for my kids to read it and think, "Mommy hated us!"  But sometimes life gets the better of me.  Last night I had my quarterly breakdown.  Miles has been teething, Chloe seems to think everything is the end of the world, and Harrison keeps doing bizarro boy things that make my mind itch.  I was having trouble remembering my life without someone crying in my general direction.  Jeff has learned to read the signs that I need to get out of the house.  (The signs are very subtle.)  So I took a trip to my happy place: The Container Store.

"A place for everything and everything in it's place" is a delightful thought . . . in theory.  As much as I want absolute order in my home, it's impossible not to have a bit of chaos when you have three children running around.  But at The Container Store, my dream is realized!  I didn't even buy anything.  Just knowing such a place exists is enough for me.

After The Container Store, I went to my other happy place: Borders.  I love bookstores!  I wish I loved libraries as much as I love bookstores.  Every time I get a library book, it smells like someone else.  Ew.  I want that new book smell.  I picked up my book club selection for the month: My Life in France by Julia Child.  Just reading the introduction while sipping my hazelnut steamer gave me the distinct impression that there was a great deal of joy to be found in my everyday life.

So, thank you to my happy places for helping me regroup.  What is your happy place?

(Harrison in a field of poppies.  Spring 2005)

7 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

My sewing room. And fabric stores. I have a feeling The Container Store would be in the top five if we had one here.

I love the photos from our trip to see the poppies. You'd never know that the wind almost blew us all away and you were Pukasaurus because you were pregnant with Chloe. Ahhhh. So glad you can't hear or smell photos.

Allison and Noah Riley said...

I loved this post. For so, so many reasons. I loved the way you characterized the "why write positive things..." debate, especially :).

Noah's really great at reading my not-so-subtle signs (but, hello - we knew by age two that Allison's eternal companion would need the patience of Job...). I've ended a lot of frustrated days with his suggestion that maybe we should walk through the park instead of catching the Subway home. That's a LONG park, and by the time I get to the opposite edge, I've usually forgotten why I was at a breaking point.

allyn said...

the pictures from your poppies trip are the Lord's paint brush at work. look at the clouds and the hills! awesome. the little boys: another heavenly creation.
your life may never be void of someone crying in pain, exhaustion, or irrationality ever again. perhaps that thought doesn't cheer you. thank heaven for husbands who will take on that load while you take it off to go to the container store where all is contained.

fabric store. bookstore.

elizabeth said...

This may be no surprise, but my happy place is the knitting shop and sometimes my car in the grocery store parking lot. I live in a town with less than 5000 people and we just don't have many retail options.
I love that picture, was it taken in Idaho? I'm sorry my blog is not a happy place, I need to work on it because so far my children will for sure think I hated them.

Jen said...

It's February. Is it also a full moon? I canNOT deal with February. Neeeeed sunshine!!!

melissa said...

That picture was taken somewhere in California. I can't remember where. It was taken with my old film camera, so I didn't have it on the computer. I came across it this past week and it made me feel peaceful inside.

Jess said...

If I don't crash with a book or a fun television show, I go to Hobby Lobby, wishing I was craftsy. I've never heard of the container store, but I am sure I would go there too. Organizational stuff is one of the reasons I love IKEA.