Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Listen, Kiddo, You Can't Fight a Tidal Wave.

When I was fourteen years old, I went to a church dance in Cary, NC.  My friend Heather told me to find a boy to ask to dance and I found a handsome, non-threatning looking young man that I'd never met before and asked him to dance.  He told me his name and  I asked if he was Ted's brother.  He said,  "Why do people always ask that?"  As someone with four older sisters, I assured him that I knew what he meant.

Though we ran with the same crowd, Jeff and I never really hung out in high school.  Probably because he was so young.  When we were in college, our church put on a production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat."  Jeff played Joseph and I played Potiphar's Wife.  (We've heard the jokes, so save it!)  There were two Joseph's (The other one was old and creepy and liked to give me direction like "Don't be afraid to touch me more."), so Jeff and I had a lot of time to talk when neither of us were onstage.  It was then I decided that I was madly in love with him, but since he was leaving on a mission a month later (and he had a girlfriend), I decided it wasn't the right time to pour out my soul,

[Sidenote: I don't have any good pictures of us in "Joseph. . ."  If any of you have one and will send it to me, you are my new BFF.]
When he got home from his two year mission in Brazil, I decided the time was right.  I told him I was madly in "really really like" with him.  (I didn't want to seem desperate.)  He was in really, really like with me!  One month later we were engaged and six months later we were married for eternity.  That was eight years ago today.

This picture is in our bedroom and Chloe likes to come and stare at it.  She calls it my princess picture.  One day she asked me, "Was there a carriage?"  I told her we didn't ride in a carriage, but that her Aunt Jennie did when she got married.  "Oh, so she's a real princess, " she explained.

Thank you for making me feel like a real princess for the past eight years, Jeff.  Did you happen to know that I love you?

16 Wisecracks:

KQ said...

I love your love story. I'm still a little ticked that you left Potiphar. But, I'm pretty sure my dad's over it.

Mom said...

I think this is the sweetest, most romantic blog I've ever read! You were and are a gorgeous couple! So glad the fairytale romance turned out this way.:)

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

Melissa, you are SO beautiful!!!
Happy anniversary!

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary guys! Oh did you use the giant heart on the side of the building for your pictures? What about that blue building?

Kimberly said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are the bestest!

Remember when Jeff wrote me from his mission to ask about you? I think he was too in love to write a letter straight to you.

This takes the place of the very un-personal email that I was going to send you today as well.

I love love and stuff.

Jess said...

That is so cute! Always fun to hear how a couple met. Happy Anniversary!

Nicole said...

Is that your back porch? Very old school romantic. Your wedding was beautiful. Your meet-cute story, however, makes my teeth hurt with it's sweetness. Ha!

wendy holt said...

Love it!! I like how Jeff keeps his hands in his pockets while you are going for it...

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I love the snow pictures!! So romanticand lovely! What a fantastic couple. Destined for each other I'd say and I loved seeing you in the play together too!

melissa said...

Wendy, you don't know where his other hand is. . .

allyn said...

that is quite romantical. how unlike jeff to let him take kissing pictures of you. did h. do those? they are very good. you have always been a sweet couple. many happy returns.

Patti said...

I echo what everyone else said *sigh* the magic continues. :D

kenzie said...

Such sweet pictures. I'm also surprised that he let you take kissy pictures. And I like his scruff.

Unknown said...

Wow. That is a great kissing picture. A lot of people think they have good kissing pictures, but they are usually either corny or gross. But that one really is great...especially with the snow in your hair.

...or is it dandruff?

Anyway, it is a great shot.

Happy anniversary, you two.

Anonymous said...

aww, I love it! Can't believe you asked him to dance!!!!! Fate.

Rich said...

hmm... you were in love with Jeff during Joseph??

wow, and the Pharaoh was just another plaything, huh...