Thursday, March 25, 2010

Practically Perfect in Every Way

I graduated from college with a B.A. in Communications.  My concentration was in "performance studies" and all of that is just a fancy way of saying that I played around in the theater for a few years and then they gave me a diploma.  Once I got out into the world and began looking for a job I remember wishing I had chosen something more practical as my major.  Something like accounting or animal husbandry or something else with a clear career path. 

The other day I was yelling out ten minute, five minute, and two minute warnings to help keep my children focused on getting Harrison out the door and to school on time.  It reminded me of moments I spent as a stage manager.  I took a look at my life and realized that all of my dilly-dallying in the theater was great preparation for my role as mother.

I am the stage manager: keeping track of our schedule, making sure things get done on time, letting everyone know when to turn off the lights and shut the doors.

I am the director: guiding, encouraging, comforting, reminding, and occasionally giving line readings ("What do you say . . .?").
I am the producer.  Hopefully that one's self-explanatory.
I am the costume designer,wardrobe supervisor, and dresser.
I am the actor: showing enthusiasm for each and every picture drawn, bouquet of weeds picked, and level of Lego Star Wars beaten. 
I am the props master.  The set designer.  The stagehand.  And craft service.  (Kraft service?) 

Mr. Shakespeare was right. "All the world's a stage."  And it would seem my choice of study was not completely lacking in practicality. 

13 Wisecracks:

wendy holt said...

LOVE it!

Nicole said...

You are WISE. Hindsight is 20/20, eh? You deserve a Tony!

Greg said...

so are we the audience or the extra's who have no lines, but react appropriately with exaggerated facial expressions?

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

So if you are the "costume designer,wardrobe supervisor, and dresser".......does that mean you really DO dress Chloe in those outfits.......and then tell everyone she really dressed herself? hmmmmmm! :)

This post made me laugh so hard. Love the "producer" bit. Hilarious!!

Annie Jarman said...

Now I wish I had gotten a degree in Communications...

You are cute, and a great mom.

Heather McKeon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather McKeon said...

I love you have found purpose in your degree. But I have to admit I wish it was animal husbandry - that would have been fantastic.

Mom said...

This is priceless! And so true! It also shows that any and all education is valuable for the mom thing. You forgot to add camera man to the list, but I think your best work is done as producer.:)

Jen said...

Did Harrison walk into a wall? That's a familiar bruise. You definitely use all of your skillz as a mom...

melissa said...

Andrea, I am currently only employed as Miles' dresser. Chloe was too much of a diva, so I quit.

Jen, Harrison hit his head on the corner of a table. Today he re-bruised it and it looks even nastier.

Cara, you can be the audience. I'm the extra that goes along on the mission and then gets shot.

allyn said...

can i order an 8x10 glossy of that picture of miles sticking out his tongue with the bubbles? it made me smile.
you are such a deep thinker. i still struggle with the purpose of a history degree. whatever. i have a degree, so i should be proud, right?
kraft service.hahaha.

kenzie said...

You SHOULD get a Tony (for acting theatrically in real life).

koryn said...

Does this mean that I am using my education to its best by sending my bickering children to their rooms to read a book? Nicole, can I get a shout out here for all the English gals? Love those little ones of yours. All edible. Oh - I an I truly feel your pain on the Legos Battle. I try not to let my eyes gloss over during the lengthy conversations with Spencer on Pokemon, Power Rangers, Star Wars, etc. He just knows so much it is boggling!