Sunday, March 21, 2010

When Life Gives Me Eggs, I Make Egg Salad

Our refrigerator stopped working . . . again.  This time the landlord finally gave in and bought us a new one!  Happy times, except that we had to wait a few days to get it.  Most of my food was inedible at that point, so we just threw it out.  I did have eighteen eggs that I needed to take care of.  Luckily, the ladies over at Our Best Bites gave me a brilliant idea: tie dyeing eggs!  With ties

You can go to their website for a tutorial and explanation.  Here's the three peso version: If you wrap eggs in colored silk and boil them in vinegar water, the dye from the tie transfers to the egg and makes it look pretty.  (Unless it's not a good tie.)  Here are the ties I used:

Secretly I didn't use that red one.  I should have.  Bright colors work best.  This is how my eggs turned out:


12 Wisecracks:

wendy holt said...

awesome! Did Jeff wear the ties after they are in the vinegar?

Ashley said...

Whaaat?! That is awesome! I thought you meant the colors would just come through, but the pattern too?! And..uh...I'd also like to know what happens to the ties. Because I'll be in BIG trouble if I do this on an impulse and ruin Justin's ties.

koryn said...

Ashley speaks for all of us before we raid our husband's tie racks. I will check out the link you provided to figure out if this awesome project could end in divorce.

LOVE the eggs and they would almost be worth litigation to have those around on easter morning. I think the second hand shop around the corner could save the day, and my marriage.

melissa said...

I started writing the ten peso version here and it's just too long. Just follow the link, for cryin' outloud.

Three of my ties were from the thrift store and two were ones Jeff gave me for the cause. They will get cut up and be useless, so ask first, please. :)

allyn said...

that is incredibly beaUTIFUL. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT. I AM TOTALLY RAIDING THRIFT STORE USA THIS WEEK. I MUST WAIT FOR THURSDAY, OF COURSE, FOR MILITARY DISCOUNT DAY. I CAN'T PAY THRIFT STORE FULL PRICE FOR SOMETHING THAT WILL BE DESTROYED.

Patti said...

Here is the audio as I scrolled down from the ties to the finished eggs: WOW! *involuntary exhaling of breath* Maybe Elder Brian will donate to the cause for next year. I hear he has bunches of ties. :D

Heather McKeon said...

That is really cool! Now what I want to see is the after on those ties... pretty eggs, ugly ties.

Unknown said...

Wowee, too pretty to crack and east I say!!! Thanks goodness you immortalized them with a photo.

Amazing!

melissa said...

Speaking of that, you probably shouldn't eat these. Who knows if the dye in ties is food safe? Not me.

Greg said...

So. Cool.
I've never heard of it, or would even imagine that it would turn out so purdy!!

KQ said...

Thanks for the idea and the link. Looks really cool!

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

Way cool!
Peter got a couple of ties from some old girl friends......way back when. Those ties would look PERFECT on an egg. ;)
ha ha! love it!