Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Crown Candy Kitchen

This morning I woke up full of ideas for how to make St. Patrick's Day awesome.  I ended up following through with exactly zero of them.  My big plan (besides the breakfast foods turned green awesomeness) was to take Chloe and Miles to the St. Patrick's Day parade in Dogtown (the Irish neighborhood in the city).  After a few words of warning from friends and the Internet, I decided maybe my kids could wait a few years before being accosted by drunkards. 

My friends and I recently heard about a fun diner/candy shop in the city where everything looks like it did in the '50's.  So, My Delightful Friend Beth and My New Friend Tara and I headed to Crown Candy Kitchen.  Mr. GPS took me to a very bad part of the city and told me I had arrived at my destination.  I've seen enough Law & Order to know that it's important for the police to know where the victim was last seen, so I called my sister and told her where I parked the car.
I suppose I should have listened more carefully when my friend who recommended it used phrases like "Go in the daylight," "Go with a group," and "Park in front."  In these situations it's always best not to draw attention to oneself.  Good thing M.D.F.B. was wearing her "DON'T NOTICE ME!" clothes.
Another piece of advice they left out was "Don't go during lunch hour.  During Spring Break.  On St. Patrick's Day."  Holy wait in line, Batman!  It was pretty adorable inside, though.  Everything was very authentic.  (Except the prices.)
Have you ever seen "Man vs. Food" on the Travel Channel?  This is the place where the dude tried to drink 5 milkshakes in 30 minutes.  Right here!  "Right here in St. Louis!"


As far as I know, everyone made it home safely.  And now we have a little more street cred!  (Always a plus.)  Have I given you enough reasons to visit me, yet?  Wouldn't you like to cheer up this sad street urchin?

8 Wisecracks:

Emily said...

That was an adventure. I loved reading about it, especially YDFB's conspicuous appearance.

allyn said...

excellent adventure. they really haven't done anything on the outside since the 50's, huh? that street urchin looks sad and lonely. perhaps she would like some company for thanksgiving. or maybe pioneer day?

wendy holt said...

maybe she was sad because you didn't let her wear any green for St. Pats day! I SO want to go to Crown Candy sometime!

melissa said...

She's wearing a green shirt under her coat, of course. I'm not THAT cruel.

KQ said...

Dude! I saw that episode of Man vs. Food. Barf-o-rama!

Congrats on the additional street cred. Good for you!

Meredith said...

GREAT pictures! That Chloe should be in a magazine with her pensive looks.

Patti said...

I love living dangerously vicariously! Knock yourselves out St. Louis-ians! I'm feeling the thrill of adventure right here in my office chair. *shiver*

melissa said...

So you DON'T want to visit this fine establishment when you come next week, Patti?