Monday, April 19, 2010

One Wonky Wonka Day

I spent the weekend eating Wonka Bars and Everlasting Gobstoppers.  I decided to show the kids both movie versions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory after we finished the book on Thursday.  They very much preferred the Tim Burton version.

I showed Chloe the DVD case for the newer version and she pointed to Johnny Depp and said, "Who's that?"  I said, "It's Willy Wonka."  She looked really confused.  "Willy Wonka's a girl?"

I hadn't seen the old movie in a really long time.  It's kind of trippy.  One of my favorite moments was when Grandpa Joe pulled out a Wonka Bar from under his pillow and Charlie says, "But Grandpa!  That money was for your tobacco!"  Harrison's eyes lit up.  "Did he say tobacco?!  That's bad!"

We also went to see How to Train Your Dragon, which I highly recommend.  Harrison spent the whole movie turning to me and saying, "This is NOTHING like the book."  Yep.  Now he's that guy.  Chloe liked the 3D.  During one of the previews, an alien jumped out of the screen and Chloe ducked.  She spent the rest of the movie trying to reach out and touch the screen.  It was adorable.

Speaking of Willy Wonka, did anyone else happen to catch this Lost promo?  Listen very closely.



Oh, Lost!  I will miss you and your awesome absurdity.

7 Wisecracks:

Anne said...

Thanks for the LOST fix. I love it ever so. I was thinking of some more books for your club--Have you done Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, or the Tale of Desperaux?

Nicole said...

What great suggestions for books/movies (from Anne and you)! Harrison and Brian are both That Guy. I endured "this isn't in the book" for the whole 5 hour mini-series of Lonesome Dove. Never.

Seriously - this is the best idea you've ever had. And you've had some good ones. :)

Jess said...

Okay, so what is "How to Train Your Dragon"? A picture book or a chapter book? I need to find it but my library is terrible at keeping stocked.

Chloe's saying Willy Wonka was a girl made me laugh. Now you need to show her a picture from "Pirates of the Caribbean" and try to convince her it's the same guy. He plays many different kinds of weird apparently. :)

allyn said...

i guess i am so endeared to the old willy wonka that when the new one came out it freaked me out. it has been too long since i read the book to be able to compare. glad you got to do something super cool with the kids.

melissa said...

Jess, How to Train Your Dragon is a chapter book by Cressida Cowell.

Greg said...

He did look a tad feminine.
Connor saw the preview for the new Alice in Wonderland and I told him that the Mad Hatter was played by the same guy that played Willy Wonka and he didn't believe me and had to check with Dad.

Where's the trust??

kenzie said...

Yes, never he does look like a woman in Willy Wonka, which is why I didn't like it in the first place. Too Weird!! You kill me with your posts. You're always good for a laugh. Those pictures are hilarious.