Saturday, July 24, 2010

If You Can't Stand the Heat, Get Out of St. Louis

My sister Jennie and her family came to visit us this past week all the way from Vermont.  Of course, the weather decided to be completely unbearable.  Jennie and the boys were all great sports about it and let us drag them all over town.  We balanced long, hot walks around St. Louis with long, cool jam sessions on Beatles Rock Band.  First we took them to see the Arch.

Left: Taylor, Ben and Weston admire the arch.  Right: Harrison holds it up.  Fun Fact: Five minutes before this picture was taken, Harrison yelled for all the world to hear, "WHY ARE YOU RUINING MY LIFE?!!!"  He was pretty disappointed when I told him that we weren't going to see the museum under the arch.  (A.K.A. The World's Most Boring Museum, Ever.)

After the Arch we headed to Citygarden to cool off in the sprinklers and wading pools.

Left: Henry found the sprinklers before swimsuit time.  Miles (completely uninterested in sprinklers) decides to be a man about town.

Left: Weston and Ethan challenge the pop jets to a duel.  Right: Ben taking a picture of me taking a picture of him.  (It's like art, see.) 


So apparently 97 degrees plus 94% humidity can't keep this family down.  I decided to try to break them the next day by taking them to the zoo.  Our first stop was the stingrays.

Then we saw some more animals.
Then I took Chloe to the bathroom.  When we came out, I found the rest of the group like this:

Yes!  I did it!  I broke them!  I--wait.  Nope.  Taylor and Ethan are still smiling and Ethan's asking if we can go see the birds.  Geez!  What's a girl gotta do?

Thanks so much for making us a stop on your church history tour!  We loved having you here and wish we could live closer to you.  Vermont must be beautiful this time of year.  All that snow and all.


5 Wisecracks:

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

I got to see Jen and her family when they were in Nauvoo. I think the last time I saw her was.......what.......ten years or more ago? It was awesome to see her again!!
She is beautiful!!
Glad they survived the Nauvoo heat so they could brave the heat at your place. :) Looks like fun!

Patti said...

We had your heat wave this weekend so I was VERY impressed by all your outside activities. Kudos and my deepest respect to all of you intrepid tourists!

Ashley said...

I was so happy to be a stop along the Allred tour. I'm so smitten with that Henry! Glad you got to spend some muggy, humid time together :)

Nicole said...

Ahhh - what would a Church history tour be without blinding heat?! Chloe was definitely boy trapped for that visit, eh? So glad y'all could get together and have adventures. :)

Jen said...

I love the picture of Henry with the sting rays- the look on everyone else's faces is priceless. We had so much fun with you! And yes, it was snowing in Vermont when we got back :)