Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Do You Believe in Magic?

My friend showed me how to take "magic" pictures.  The kids couldn't wait to try them.  They're really into magic these days.  I believe we have Mr. Potter to thank for that.

We finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling last week.  I couldn't get through the end.  Later Harrison told Jeff, "I could tell Mommy was trying not to cry.  It was so annoying."

The thing is, these books mean a lot to me.  I first read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the Summer of 2001.  That was the first time in a long time that I had read a book for fun.  It wasn't assigned to me in school.  It wasn't a book club pick.  I was reading for the pure pleasure of reading.  I found reading Harry Potter. . . delightful.  It sparked in me a desire to read for pleasure and I am grateful for that.  I looked forward to reading each additional book as they were published.  When I was in labor with Harrison (for many, many hours), I remember looking over at Jeff and seeing him reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  Knowing he was going to find out what happened next in the story before I was made the contractions even more painful.  I told him he had to stop.  And sit in the dark.  And watch me sleep between contractions.  Jeff bought me a copy of the last book for my 28th birthday (which also happens to be Harry Potter's birthday) and I remember reading without sleeping for a couple of days.  I bawled when it was over and then read the last 15 pages again and again. 

So my kids will have to forgive me if I get emotional when Harry finds out he's a wizard or when Neville gets points for being brave enough to stand up to his friends.  And some of you will just have to accept that sometimes people cry when they read books even if they are definitely not pregnant.

Harrison really loved the book and Chloe liked it well enough.  I think he was the perfect age for it and she was too young.  The movie is definitely a twisted CliffsNotes version of the story, but it's still fun to see how it all began and see the actors looking so adorable.  We covered Chloe's eyes for the big showdown at the end.  It was scarier than I remembered.  Harrison has already read the second book on his own and can't wait to read the next one.  Now that there's a Lego Harry Potter videogame, the boy officially has a new obsession.  (Star Wars who?)


10 Wisecracks:

allyn said...

i think we all remember where and when on the first harry potter. ahhhh.

HILARIOUS magic pictures. will chloe get to be the magician next?

Nicole said...

Oh, man! Don't make me laugh and cry (and sneeze - what?) all in the same post! Those pictures are so so so funny - Chloe is a little pixie. Harry Potter is a new rite of passage. Remember how everyone was reading it at our beach trip in 2001?

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Love these pictures - so imaginative! And I love that your kids are so into it. Adorable.

Heather McKeon said...

LOVE those magic pictures! Now I have to try them too. Also love all Harry Potter books and remember well going to the midnight parties at B&N just waiting to get the next fix...

Jess said...

Those pictures are hilarious! And I am quite sad that Chloe was too little to enjoy Harry Potter, because it means Emmett is too. I guess I'll have to wait a couple of years. Then I'll be tearing up too.

Annie Jarman said...

I love Harry and his gang of misfits. I'm always a little sad when I've finished a book.

Love the pictures! Your kids are so cute!

The Reiersens said...

Oh man, I'm definately going to try the magic pictures now! Sooo funny!

kenzie said...

Those pictures ARE magic! I love their faces in them. And yes, I miss the Harry Potter craze. I totally bawled at the first book, and the last book. And I love Ron in the first movie! So cute.

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

Awesome pictures!!
I also love how everyone keeps asking if you are pregnant these days. (and you make it a point to let everyone know you are NOT. ha ha)

Your kids are super adorable. That's all there is to it!!

Anonymous said...

oh man, that seals it. i can't wait to read the series with my (unborn) children, but i always wonder if i'll be able to make it through without the usual tears. now i know i won't!

ps-still jesica's friend in CH who makes jewelry, just a new blog :)