Tuesday, September 21, 2010

One Man's Trash . . .

The women in our congregation at church have a Google group so we can get in touch with each other easily about important matters.  It's great for letting each other know where to get a good dentist or Chinese food.  Just ask and you shall receive.  (Especially if you ask for labor and pregnancy advice.)  It's also great for finding a new home for your old junk.  For example, a few weeks ago my friend said she had some dressers to give away.  I called dibs on one she described as "light blue and might need some work."  She is not a liar.
Those labels say "D Projects" and "Fabric Makings."
My first thought when I saw this dresser was, "Wow.  That is going to make some awesome 'Before' pictures."

Hey, guess what two cans of spray paint can do?
Now I finally have a place for all my D Projects and Fabric Makings!

My mom was kind enough to send me this drawing done by my grandpa years ago. 
I'm still trying to decide the most aesthetically pleasing way to display it.  Any ideas?  Jeff says I should let the kids color it in.


 

13 Wisecracks:

KQ said...

Nice work, Lady!

Shannon said...

Love it! My most favorite thing is to find good pieces of furniture and repaint, redo them. I love everyone else's trash. Well...some trash anyway!

wendy holt said...

Looks great!! and while we are at it...why don't YOU share your birth stories for all to hear?

Mom said...

Aaack! PLEASE don't let the kids color it in - even if they are good artists! How about a new mat and a red frame? For the Cardinals and to match the "new" cute dresser.:)

melissa said...

Mom, that was awesome how you reacted like a Cathy cartoon! "Aaack! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate!"

Of course Jeff was kidding. :)

Nicole said...

Hooray! You made that dresser sing, dude. I like the red frame idea for Grandpa's drawing. Maybe mounting it on a canvas board - frameless, you know, would be cool too.

elizabeth said...

I am so impressed!!! That room looks like it came from a magazine. Frame the picture and keep it where it is.

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

Awesome job! Now I know you have more patience then I will ever have. I think I would have taken one look at that dresser and said NO WAY!!! But you made it look fabulous!!

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

Oh, and just for kicks, I say you copy the picture and then let the kids color the that one.
Then take a picture of it and show your mom. ha ha! Does that NOT sound like fun?!!! :)

melissa said...

Andrea, "patience"? You're kidding, right? Did you hear the part about two cans of spray paint? I didn't even sand the sucker. This is a one hour job, tops. (Plus five hours to dry.)

allyn said...

i don't even think i would have brought that "piece" home. you got guts. the transformation is striking. almost as striking as the player displayed on the top of the dresser. i say red matte, white frame.

Heather McKeon said...

I definitely think you should make copies of it and let the kids color those. Then you could hang a grouping - the original and then one from each kids...

Unknown said...

Awesome job on the dresser and I love the drawing too!