Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Little Stuart Little

It's my baby's birthday week.  I decided to take some pictures of Miles sitting still and being adorable, which was much easier when he was one and couldn't run.  Here's a sneak peek.


We finished E.B. White's Stuart Little last week.  It's the story of a mouse born into a family of humans and his ho-hum adventures.  Booooooo.  I was expecting more from the author of Charlotte's Web.  Harrison declared it the worst book we have ever read.  Chloe said it was "just really weird."  Agreed.  I'd like to take a moment to apologize to Wendy for not heeding your warning.  When I told Jeff that we didn't like this book, he got all sad face and said, "Well, I remember liking that book a lot when I was a kid."  Read it again, dude.  It sucks.

(Sure would have been nice if he had moved away from that air conditioning fan filled with dead bugs.)

The good news is the movie is adorable.  I'd say it's my favorite movie in the Animals Voiced By Famous People Interacting With Not As Famous People canon.  The movie stars Geena Davis, a freakishly restrained Hugh Laurie (I kept expecting him to do something funny or mean), Jonathon Lipnicki (Whatever happened to that kid?), and Michael J. Fox as the voice of Stuart.  In the movie, the parents adopt Stuart into their family and it takes their son a while to accept his mouse brother.  M. Night Shyamalan is one of the co-screenwriters, which makes me laugh, but also made me give it a chance.  The dialogue was very clever and I didn't hate the movie even a little bit.  The kids LOVED it.  "Probably the best movie we've ever seen, ever," declared Harrison.  To be fair, he says that after every movie we watch. 

5 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

Really?! We part ways when it comes to the movie of Stuart Little. Bridget was obsessed with it for a few months last year and I couldn't get past the stupidity of humans adopting a mouse. I "accidentally" deleted it from our DVR and it was forgotten quickly.

Miles is adorable!

melissa said...

Don't get me wrong. It is what it is. But when you compare the stupidity of ADOPTING a mouse into your family with the stupidity of GIVING BIRTH to a mouse . . .

allyn said...

yeah, that would have been way weird to see geena davis give birth to a mouse. sorry hugh laurie was so boring in that one, too. we just watched sense and sensibility sunday evening. the girls were belly laughing any time he would speak. i don't think i have read that one, but i think i stole it from mom and dad's stash thinking it was a classic and that it should be part of my library. perhaps the thrift store could put it to better use.
before i read the caption to the pics of your beautiful son, i thought, "that's interesting that she chose the air conditioning unit as the background". i guess that's okay.

melissa said...

Ha! It is so not okay. I couldn't get him away from that stupid thing. Maybe I'll photoshop him into a field of poppies.

Eliza said...

That kid was just on "The View" today! He went to High School and now he's making more movies. I've never read that book and now, thanks to you, I won't feel obligated because it's a classic.