Thursday, June 2, 2011

We Sing Songs About Books

Tonight I took Harrison and Chloe to see Harry and the Potters play in our library parking lot.  They're a super fun band that dress up as Harry Potter and sing songs about the books.  Their website says, "Harry and the Potters.  We sing songs about books."  They're kind of hilarious.


I had the kids watch some of the band's songs on Youtube so they would be excited.  It didn't work.

Chloe was most upset to discover that rock bands are loud.  This girl cries ugly (and often).  They both decided the only way they could possibly enjoy the show is if Mom gave them piggy back rides.

[Photography by Harrison]
[Photography by Chloe]
I'm so scared of myself in this picture.  It was the end of a long, sweaty day.  At least they both had a good time in the end.

The band was really fun.  They're not great singers, but their songs are delightful.  Our favorites were: "Save Ginny Weasley", "The Weapon," "The Phoenix Song" and "Stick it to Dolores".  Don't be jealous that my library rocks harder than yours.

After the show, we signed up for the summer reading program.  We're so winning that tote bag!

15 Wisecracks:

Emily said...

I love the way you write about life. I can totally taste it.

Not to put pressure on you. Whenever someone says they like the way you write you can get "Ah! I've got to make this witty and entertaining" block when you try to write.

Although, obviously YOU'VE learned to work through that!

melissa said...

Awww. Thanks, Em! I'll try to work through the pressure.

Nicole said...

Oh, Melissa. I laugh ugly and MAN that photo of Chloe crying is making me laugh hard! It's because of Chloe that Bridget asks me if the public toilet is going to flush by itself and also if it's going to be loud. Just so she can get her emotions ready, I guess.

I'm going to start following Harry and the Potters. Grateful Dead style.

melissa said...

Dude. She still makes me put a piece of toilet paper over the motion sensor so it won't flush before she is emotionally ready for it. :[

Too bad she had a headache all night and is still feeling sick this morning. I had no sympathy for her at the concert. Bad mom.

Mom said...

Did you forget the earplugs? I do not understand what the fun is of going to a concert where you have to wear earplugs so you can't hear it.

allyn said...

poor chloe. she just has sensitive ears. i love that your library hosted that. i thought our library was pretty cool, but my kids would have been on the front row screaming and jumping if this group were at our local branch.

elizabeth said...

hilarious and on an unrelated note, what kind of camera do you have?

melissa said...

It's a Canon Power Shot SX10.

Patti said...

Ah, but does every model SX10 come with you taking the shots? That's the camera I need. Harry and the Potters ROCK!

The Reiersens said...

So funny! I hate it when I plan something totally hip and cool for my kids and they end up bored! Great pics. I love the range of emotion!

Heather McKeon said...

Mark has the exact same reaction to concerts. Too loud and crying. Which is why I sadly have not been to a concert in about 6 years. I'm gonna have to ditch him and find some friends to rock with.

I am jealous that your library rocks harder than mine. Although... mine has Guitar Hero competitions - where you play against the librarians. So maybe mine does rock harder?

melissa said...

False. We have Guitar Hero competitions, too.

Also, I totally called your husband John, didn't I? My apologies.

Heather McKeon said...

You did - but I figured you were talking about his brother John and his wife. So it's ok cause I auto-corrected for you.

Laura Crenshaw Chabo said...

Too bad that the kids weren't into the rock concert scene! That is one of the few bummer things in parenting, taking your kids to do something AWESOME and they think it's lame, or scary, or itchy, etc... :(
Try again in a few years and I bet they'll change their tune.

melissa said...

What's really funny is that they always come away from these little outings saying how awesome it was and how much fun they had. I guess they forget the part where they complained 99% of the time.