Saturday, July 30, 2011

Harrison's Eighth Birthday: Episodes I, II, and III

Harrison turned eight years old on July 8th.  He's not a kid, anymore.  Just ask him.  During the course of our vacation, he read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.  He stopped ordering off the kid's menu at fast food restaurants.  He stayed up way past his bedtime and played games with the adults. 
I guess that's okay.

He was pretty excited to get his own set of scriptures with his name on it.  No, really.  He was.
This picture is only a little bit staged.

It made me feel better to see how small he is next to Jeff.  Order off the adult menu all you want, kid.  You're still my little punkin.

His favorite part of his birthday was staying up really late and waiting for Aunt Amy to come home from her mission in Sweden.

Episode II
So my mom says to me, "Can I give Harrison his present when you come to stay with us?  Maybe we can get him a cake, too!"  Who am I to deny my parents cake?

Episode III
We let our kids have a friend birthday party every other year.  I decided this last year when I didn't want to throw a party for Harrison.  That decision came back to bite me in the tuchas.  Finding a day when we could have it took a while and just made his birthday last all . . . month . . . long.  We let him invite some friends over for lunch and water games.

Games like "Dribble, Dribble, Drench!"

And "That Relay Game Where You Fill Buckets of Water Up Using Cups With a Hole on the Bottom So You Have to Hold the Cups on Your Head."  You know, games like that.

The boys were crazy for the Lego Harry Potter Visual Encyclopedia.

Thanks to everyone who helped make his birthday month so special.  I think eight is going to be great.


2 Wisecracks:

elizabeth said...

Why do kids have to grow up so fast. I met you like two weeks after he was born. You were my first friend to have a baby.

Nicole said...

It's all very bittersweet. He seems more smiley now that he is not a kid anymore - like he was just enduring all the kid stuff so he could get to the part where he could read super long books and have water games with his friends. Good job making the Golden Birthday live up to all his dreams, lady!