Sunday, January 1, 2012

That's a Wrap!

Our 2011 is officially over, but I feel the need to wrap things up nicely (mostly for our 2011 blog book).  I love going back and reading old posts on our blog and remembering sweet stories I had totally forgotten, but assumed I would never forget.  That's why I do this.  I know my kids will be grown before I'm ready and these days will be a blur.  I'm glad we'll have a record of this time in their life.  So, even if it's not particularly interesting to anyone else, I'm going to keep it up.

My friend Sarah is a very talented photographer.  A few months ago she had me take some pictures of her family and, in exchange, she took our family photos.  Sarah got the raw end of that deal, but she's too nice to say so.  Here are some photos from our shoot with Sarah at Belle Petite Photographie.

2011 was the year that Harrison turned eight and was baptized.  It was the year he read all of the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books for the first time.  It was the year he learned that he's smart.  (We'd kept it a secret up until now.)  It was the year he learned how difficult it can be to make the right choices.  It was the year he started playing basketball with the Catholics and learned what it means to be a part of a team.  It was the year he started Scouts and learned how much more fun it is to play outside than it is to play videogames.  It was also the year he beat Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 in two days.  Over the past year Harrison continued to improve on the piano and has become a skilled mimic.

Chloe started kindergarten this year.  She performed in her first dance recital and started piano lessons.  She's learned what she can do when she's on her own, away from her brothers.  She is a kind friend and a sweet sister.  She and Miles have developed a special bond this year.  If ever I can't understand what he's saying, she's there to interpret for me.  I'm always surprised by her confidence, because she is usually very quiet at home.  I love her ability to use her imagination and make her life magical.

Miles continues to bring love and joy into our home.  He loves Cars,  Curious George, and applesauce.  He calls Harrison "Shenden" and Chloe "Oh-ee."  He loves to run through the house in a cape yelling "SupaMAAANNNN!"  He's the funniest person he knows.  I love spending the afternoons alone with him.  2012 is going to be a really big year for him.  It's so strange to think that by this time next year he'll be a potty-trained three year old who can say his hard "k" and "s" sounds clearly.  (He will.)

We've had a lot of fun this past year and eaten a lot of pie.  Let's hope next year is just as awesome.  Here's to a New Year!

4 Wisecracks:

allyn said...

beautiful pictures. beautiful people. beautiful summary. here's to 2012~

Jess said...

Beautiful pictures. I wish I could take a decent picture so I could trade with someone. :) Oh well. A year with lots of pie has obviously been a good year. May the next year have just as much pie.

The Reiersens said...

These pictures are adorable!

Unknown said...

You good lookin' family you. Love the new photos and yes!! Here's to an awesome 2012! :D