Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Case of the Missing Iris

Last fall Chloe and I took a trip to the Botanical Gardens where we found a flower called "Happy Girl."  We thought that was a swell name for a flower and wondered what it actually looked like when it was in bloom.  On Wednesday I took Chloe and Miles to the gardens to see if we could find Happy Girl in bloom.

We found the rhododendrons.

We found yellow azaleas.  I didn't know they came in yellow!

We found pink azaleas.

We found tulips in every color.

We found some dead guy's tomb.

We found more tulips.

We found murky water.

We found the iris garden where our Happy Girl flower was supposed to be in bloom.

I hope you can read these names, because they are truly fantastic.  It turns out the rule for naming iris' is that you have to be a sassypants.  We searched everywhere, but we couldn't find the Happy Girl iris.

(Thanks for the Easter Hexbunnies, Grandma and Grandpa!)

We finished reading Judy Moody: Girl Detective by Megan McDonald.  This was the first book we've read that had something for everyone: short chapters and pictures for Miles,  a girl as the main character for Chloe, and a mystery with jokes for Harrison.  It was short and sweet and I highly recommend it.  There's a movie on Netflix streaming called "Judy Moodyand the Not Bummer Summer."  It has all of the same characters, but the plot is different.  (There are many books in the Judy Moody series and the movie is sort of based on all of them.)  The kids really enjoyed it, but I haven't had a chance to watch it, yet.  I do know that Steve Urkel plays Judy's school teacher, so I'm officially in.

In the end I did find a happy girl in the garden. 

4 Wisecracks:

KQ said...

Pretty, pretty pictures! I was about to say that the picture of the tulips was my favorite, but after I kept scrolling down my mind changed. They're all my favorite. :)

Patti said...

I love the Botanical Gardens! The flowers are always spectacular, and the cutie pies enjoying them absolutely adorable.

kenzie said...

Chloe is so photographable:) We're jealous of your Botanical Garden! It is beautiful.

Unknown said...

Mmmm...I like that happy girl flower you found. She is so pretty. She looks just like her mom.

:)