Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Begin at the Beginning

We arrived home from our vacation a few days ago.  I've done nothing but sit at the computer eating Twix ice cream bars (Darn you and your special buys, Aldi!) and editing pictures, but I feel like I haven't even made a dent in it.  It's like when you order pasta at a restaurant and no matter how much you eat, it never gets smaller.  The idea of blogging about our trip has been completely overwhelming just because it seemed like there was SO MUCH.  So I did what I always do when I get overwhelmed: I made a list.  Making lists is always a very humbling experience for me because when I sit down and write out all of the many things I need to do, it always ends up being a very short list of very easy tasks.  Then I realize I'm not as important as I thought I was.

So, let's begin at the beginning of my list:

The Road Trip

We've made the trip from St. Louis to Cary, NC several times and taken many different approaches.  This time we took the "When I was a kid I had to sit in the back of a station wagon and daydream for 10 hours on road trips.  Quit yer whinin'!" approach.  We packed snacks and some movies and a book on tape, but that's it.  We also made a road trip mix CD and I let them each choose three songs.  Jeff and I had to add a few songs to even out the tone a bit.  We listened to it a thousand times and they just couldn't get enough. 
Courtesy of my camera phone.

Here's our playlist.  Feel free to copy it and use it for your next 900 mile car ride.

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall by Coldplay
Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat
SOS by Kofi Kingston
(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction
WWE: I Came to Play (The Miz) by Jim Johnston
Under the Boardwalk by The Drifters
If I Had $1,000,000 by Barenaked Ladies
Whip My Hair by The Chipettes
We Will Rock You by Queen
Everything by Michael Buble
Papa Gene's Blues by The Monkees
Good Intent by Kimbra
Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers
The Distance by Cake
The Show Goes On by Lupe Fiasco
Gonna Buy Me a Dog by The Monkees
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers
Crabbuckit by k-os
Superstition by Stevie Wonder
Fix You by Coldplay
Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Blues by Johnny Rivers

Can you guess which songs the kids chose?

9 Wisecracks:

wendy holt said...

love the proclaimers...hope that was your pick?

Patti said...

Wow! That is an amazing playlist. I'm not taking any road trips soon, but it looks like perfect dusting the house tunes. Sweet!

allyn said...

Will you please tel me your collage secret? I don't want to download any software in order to make a great collage.
Mix cd=brilliant.
Glad you made all your travels safely.

melissa said...

Wendy, 500 Miles was jeff's pick, but I approved. :)

Allyn, Picmonkey.com.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, you are so funny! The beginning of this post made me laugh! Love the play list and the pictures. Chloe is so darling missing her two front teeth! Fix you by cold play always makes me think of The Stubbens and be sad but it is so sweet. Did you hear that Steve is engaged? I am excited for their family. The lady he is engaged to has two kids. I am totally writing you a letter on your blog, lol. :)

Tammy and Alvin said...

OK, it's taken me a while to go through all the songs, and I expected someone else who knows your kids better to have figured it out by now. But now I'm hoping I can win the contest by the lack of competition.

Chloe:
Whip My Hair - I've seen that dance video and no boy would choose the Chipettes, right?
Going on the theory that she chose two other songs from her dance class, I'm going with:
Good Intent by Kimbra
The Show Goes On by Lupe Fiasco

Harrison:
Kids tend to like one artist/group and stick with it. I couldn't decide who was more likely to get sucked into those silly/hilarious Monkees videos, but I'm going with Harrison
Gonna Buy Me a Dog by The Monkees
Papa Gene's Blues by The Monkees
If I Had $1,000,000 by Barenaked Ladies
Boys like big numbers and it kind of fits the funny theme.

Miles
Going back to the multiple songs from one group/CD theme and because he seems unafraid of rocking out.
WWE: I Came to Play (The Miz) by Jim Johnston
SOS by Kofi Kingston
The Distance by Cake


Jeff
A bass singer nostalgic of his days in an acapella group:
(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
Under the Boardwalk by The Drifters

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers - spoiler from above
We Will Rock You by Queen
Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Blues by Johnny Rivers

Melissa
Everything else. She gets the most influence because she put it together.

Nicole said...

What a great play list! Thanks for reminding me that I love that Coldplay song and I haven't put it on my iPod yet. Did you take that last photo standing on the side of the road after being kicked out of the car? I'm not a bit surprised you were the first one booted. Ha!

melissa said...

Heather, Fix You always reminds me of Catie, too. It makes me sad, but I like the song a lot and didn't have it on any of my car CD's. How exciting for Steve! Thanks for sharing the wonderful news!

Tammy and Alvin, I love that you put so much thought into your answers. ("Boys like big numbers."-HA!) Sadly, you only got one right.

Miles: We Will Rock You. It's his theme song, see. He only got one pick, so that's on me.

Chloe: Whip My Hair, What Makes You Beautiful, If I Had $1,000,000.

Harrison: SOS, WWE: I Came to Play, Going the Distance (Actually, he wanted his third to be The Final Countdown, but Jeff vetoed.)

Jeff: Anything released before 1995.

Melissa: Everything else.

Tammy and Alvin said...

I got one right!

Switch Miles and Harrison's names and I would have gotten 4 of 7. I was going back and forth on which list of three to assign to which of the boys.