Saturday, July 21, 2012

Beach Blast 2012--Week One

We spent two weeks with our families at Topsail Island in North Carolina.  The first week was with the Lee side of the family.  The first thing we did after arriving and unloading was take a family picture.  Easiest thing in the world.

You may have noticed that there are a lot of us.  My mom was able to find a super sweet beach house where we all fit comfortably.
It looks a little bit doomsday in this picture because of a crazy storm that was rolling through.

Crazy, right?

Anywho, my Mom has been planning this reunion for over a year and it all came together beautifully.  There's really nothing to it.  All you do is give your eight kids assignments and then make lots of charts.  Ta-da!  Family Reunion!

Melissa, Allyn, Makenzie, Rob, Dad, Mom, Aaron, Jen, Katy, Nicole.  We're running toward the finish line.  I'm positive my siblings won't approve of this picture, but come on!  It's hilarious.

I'm kidding, of course.  Mom sends weekly reports to us and for the past few months she's been talking about working on her "beach projects."  I was intrigued.  What the heck was a beach project?  Was I supposed to be working on beach projects?  Why didn't I have any beach projects?  So confused.
Some of Mom's beach projects included making pajamas for all the grandkids, making hats for all the ladies,



 . . . preparing daily crafts for "Grandma's Craft Camp" every afternoon, preparing daily desserts for "Grandma's Dessert Camp" (for the younger kids),

preparing chore charts and dinner charts, practicing her talent show act with Dad,
This is Allyn's photo, but I wanted it here because it was one of my favorite moments, ever.  Bob and Peg!  Together onstage!   One night only! 

 . . . and finding my dad some casual clothes.  Way to go, Mom!  You did it!

At the end of the week, we went around the room and everyone said what was their favorite part of the reunion.  My kid's favorite part of the beach?  The pool.
Harrison, Helena, and Adam
Helena, Emma, Vivien
Harrison and Adam

But the general consensus was that the best part of the reunion was just being together.
Allyn, Makenzie, Claire, Nicole, Melissa
Weston (Eliza) and Miles
Ruby and Makenzie (watching Gabriel and Claire)
Allyn and Melissa (I'm so investing in a wind machine.  I can see why J-Lo and Beyonce don't leave home without one.)
Harrison, Chloe, Bridget, and Jeff
Jen and Chance (The kids called him "Fat Chance."  No offense.)
Helena, Claire, Lilja, Chance, and Eliza.
Claire and Ian
Banks and his friend.

Aron, Allyn, Melissa, Jeff, Ben, Rob, Claire, Jen, Brian, Makenzie, David, Nicole, Matt, Katy, Aaron out to eat without kids!

It's a good thing we enjoy being together.  I think eternity is going to be just swell.

9 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

Succinct! Love it.

wendy holt said...

LOVE LOVE!!! I shall get my charts and lists started. Too bad all the assignments will be done by me. BOO!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Wow...it looks like you all had so much fun. It makes me wish (again) that I were one of your sisters. You have so many....surely you could squeeze me in, too?


By the way, the above "deleted comment" was left by me not some scary stalker. I had to re-do my typo-ridden comment so that you could understand me.

KQ said...

What a house! And what a mom/grandma to organize all that!

Patti said...

Favorite pictures? *drumroll* First runner-up: Wind machine hair
And the winner? *drumroll*
Running for the finish line!
I loved seeing all the pictures of one of my favorite families. What a great week!

Jess said...

That. Sounds. Awesome!!! Your mom must have been crazy busy preparing all of that. I am impressed. And I also am loving that beach house. To find a place that houses the whole Lee clan is very impressive.

Oh, and I totally agree with the wind machine. Totally great picture.

Ashley said...

I love that all of you put in the (HUGE) effort to be there, this seemed like an awesome, crazy week. You guys are so lucky to have each other!

Jen said...

Good thing I brought my fish lip to the fishing derby! We watched the video about ten times. Great job! Can't wait to get my copies of all of your photos :)