Monday, July 23, 2012

The corn is as high as the Fourth of July

(That's how my grandma likes to sing that line from "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning".  Silly Grandma.)

Our July 4th was pretty epic.  Mostly thanks to these two lovely people:
Matt and Katy were in charge of the fun for July 4th.  If you ever need someone to be in charge of the fun, you should call them.

Katy signed Harrison, Weston, and Ethan up for a kid's fishing contest on the Surf City Pier.  It was exactly what I needed to get Harrison out of the house and away from the Disney Channel for the day. 

I spent most of the day with the Allred's on the pier and the rest of the day preparing dinner with Katy and Matt.  [While I was gone, my mom went on a kayak in the ocean.  I miss all the good stuff.]  Matt made some delicious pulled pork, Katy made potato salad, Jeff made baked beans, and I made corn on the cob in a cooler (thank you, Pinterest), and patriotic Jell-O (It tastes like freedom.).

After dinner, Katy told us to take our kids to the basement and give her our car keys.  (Don't have to ask me twice!)  Then she and Matt announced that we were going to be competing against each other in an Amazing Race.  Dream come true!

Our tasks included unscrambling a scripture, retrieving a clue tied to a pole in the middle of the sound, building a sandcastle exactly like the one in a picture given to us, taking pictures of out of state license plates, drinking a milkshake in the presence of our nieces, taking our picture in front of beach wear shops, putting together The Impossible Puzzle of a picture of our next location, listing all of the Lee grandchildren in birth order, and racing to the finish line at the end of a dock.  Jeff and I lost by a hair to Allyn and Aron, but we got to see this beautiful view from the finish line.
After the race, we went back to the beach and Jeff put on a fireworks show.  It was really dark and windy, so it was a short show, but it capped off our celebration nicely.  I made a video of the awesomeness for all of you to enjoy.  I won't bore you with the details of my computer woes and my hours spent reading Microsoft message boards so I could figure out my danged problem, but I want you to know it took longer than it should have.  So please watch it.  Thank you  for your consideration.

7 Wisecracks:

Mandi said...

I've never seen such an amazing video! And I love the Amazing Race - how awesome!

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

How fun is that!!! I love it!

KQ said...

I'm going to ask Katy and Matt to plan our next 4th of July. How fun! Your video was awesome!

Tammy and Alvin said...

Awesome! I wish your reunion had been before ours so we could have copied all your ideas. :)

allyn said...

Perfect song! Excellent coverage. It was pretty epic. The video turned out awesome!

Nicole said...

Stills with video?! Are you kidding me?!!! That is amazing. Seriously. I just added music to our old stuff on Microsoft Movie whatever it is and it took me forever.

I live with some heavy guilt for not even KNOWING you did the corn. It was Brian's favorite part of the dinner. And your Jell-o was not only beautiful, it was delicious. :)

Patti said...

I couldn't help shout out "don't climb the pole guys!" when I saw the swimmers. But alas, they didn't hear me. The M&M shirts were awesome. It was so much fun to see all the fun stuff you told me about. And seeing the jello made me want to put my hand over my heart and say the Pledge of Allegiance. Amazing Race, amazing video!