Thursday, September 20, 2012

Balloons and Bagpipes

Last week Jeff and I went on our annual date to the Hot Air Balloon Glow in Forest Park.
Maybe "annual date" is a bit of an exaggeration, but we really don't get out much so the balloon glow is always a nice evening for us.  The weather was beautiful and it's just so fun to see parents chasing their kids around a crowded event in the dark and think, "Aren't we so smart for leaving our children at home?"  Yes, our children would absolutely love to see the balloons, but then we wouldn't get to enjoy a false sense of superiority.
We were having a delightful time walking around, but once the bagpipers showed up we decided to head to a Chinese buffet.  I know many people who say that bagpipes get them every time and I think, "Really?  Every time?"  Sure, bagpipes have their place.  Like in the town of Brigadoon or at Mr. Spock's funeral.  But if I'm on a hot date and a quintet of bagpipers suddenly appears and plays one of their three required piper songs, it's kind of a mood killer.
Jeff was telling me that when he used to go to scout camp as a kid, there was a bagpipe troop.  Everyone would be having a great time at camp and then they'd hear the pipers.  "Oh, good.  The bagpipe troop is here."  Awesome.
I liked hearing that story not only because it made me laugh, but because he'd never told it to me before.  I love learning that I don't already know everything about Jeff.  That's why our annual date is so important.
I swear I'm not pregnant.  That's just the way that shirt falls.  Also, here's a tip for you: Never wear skinny jeans to a Chinese buffet. 
I know we'll be here for another year and a half, but I find myself getting nostalgic about St. Louis these days.  I keep thinking of all of the things I'm going to miss when we eventually leave.  The Balloon Glow is definitely high on the list.  To make myself feel better about leaving, I've also been compiling a list of things I will not miss.  The hot, sticky summers and stupid, stupid streets are at the top of that list.
When we do eventually drive away from our home, I think I'm going to hire a bagpipe troop to come and play us out.

5 Wisecracks:

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

I can't even tell you how jealous I was to see all the balloon glow Facebook posts. The only mistake I see that you made was eating at a Chinese buffet instead of getting a ginormous corndog at the glow. Maybe next year....

melissa said...

I heard about the corn dogs that day, but we already had Chinese on the brain. Next year, for sure! I was just talking about you yesterday. Remember when you leant me your sweater for the talent show because Miles entered me in a wet t-shirt contest? That was nice of you.

Kimberly said...

As long as you're driving this way in a year and a half, I'll hire the bagpipers myself.

You reminded me it's about time for our bi-annual date night. Gotta get on that.

Patti said...

Nice pictures! I oohed and aahed each one, kinda like at fireworks. I'm very excited about your bagpipe send off from St. Louis. It's giving me chills just thinking about it.

The Reiersens said...

I'm so relieved to hear that I am not the only one who has annual date night with the hubby! Seriously, that makes me feel better. Thank you!