Tuesday, September 25, 2012

First Day of Autumn

Last Saturday was one of my favorite days of the year.  The first day of Autumn is always welcome, and this year we celebrated by going to the Annual Radiology Department Picnic in the Middle of Nowhere.  Our family doesn't spend much time alone in the woods.  That's mostly due to my fear of dying in the woods, which is irrational, but not as irrational as my Grandma Shirley's fear of dying anywhere besides Pocatello, Idaho.  Every time my kids spend time in nature I'm reminded that I've unwittingly turned them into a bunch of city sissies.  Once a year, however, we let the kids ride horses, take trips down the lake in a canoe, and eat s'mores until they feel sick.  (That's what country folk do, right?)





 
Chloe's buddy Taryn was there, too.  Their dads have twin jobs!
 
 


 
 


 
 
Miles declared the canoe "too tippy."
 
 
 

4 Wisecracks:

Patti said...

What a fun day at a very beautiful place! Those little horsey hats are adorable, and the riders all look so capable. Nothing says great outdoors like a lazy river to paddle in, and s'mores. A perfect Saturday!

Emily said...

I think the ultimate in "city trying to masquerade as country" is Jeff in flip-flops with his feet in the stirrups.

The Reiersens said...

These are seriously cool country pics and I can't believe Miles is sitting on a horse alone! Crazy! :)

melissa said...

Just so you don't think I'm ridiculous, you should know that these horses are one hundred years old and they're all being led by a trainer (except Harrison's horse).