Saturday, December 22, 2012

Merry Everything

This morning we woke up without much to look forward to.  All I really wanted to do was get the house cleaned, but we were all feeling lazy.  Then my sister Allyn called and said they were just outside St. Louis and could they please stop for a stretch/lunch break on their way from Virginia to Idaho.  Heck yes, you can!


We cleaned up the house and got dressed in record time.  It was a Christmas miracle!  (Speaking of Christmas miracles, Mrs. Miracle starring James Van der Beek and Doris Roberts is my new favorite made-for-t.v. Christmas movie.  And that's saying something.)  Their stay was brief, but the Boneys promised to come back soon and stay for longer than an hour next time.

Dads and kids and pandas and sun flares.

Then later in the afternoon we put on a short concert at a local nursing home.  That was today's countdown activity.  (Which made Wednesday's activity "Make Christmas cards for nursing home residents." make much more sense.)

The kids played Christmas songs for the residents and Jeff made my dreams come true by learning a "Sleigh Ride" duet and playing it with me.  Love feelings.  The residents seemed to not hate our little show.
Well . . . most of them, at least.  I was reminded of my friend Chloe Hodge telling me (in reference to carolers in her nursing home) "Sometimes I'm doing them a favor."

3 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

I love that Chloe quote. Classic! What a fun surprise to have a bunch of Boneys show up at your house! Now the Christmas magic comes to you since you've been creating it all month long. :)

Patti said...

What a fun surprise to have Allyn et al make a quick stop and suddenly having your house clean. It's all about deadlines. And I loved the Chloe quote. I could almost hear her saying it. That was my fun surprise. Thank you.

The Reiersens said...

Oh those nursing home residents are precious!