Monday, December 17, 2012

The Truth

Recently I've had several people tell me that I'm a fun mom or a good mom and not being one to accept a compliment gracefully, I feel the need to debunk that myth.  I'm a fraud, people.  I'm not a fun mom.  Just ask my children.  No, wait right there.  I'll go ask them.

Chloe says I'm a fun mom, but she's a people pleaser so her opinion means nothing.  When I asked Miles if I'm a fun mom, he slowly shook his head "no" and crept sideways out of the room.  I didn't bother asking Harrison.  He would just answer diplomatically so as not to set off Crazy Mom.

The truth is that I find all of this Fun Mom business exhausting.  The truth is my house is always trashed and every surface is sticky.  The truth is my three year old is better at Mariokart than I am.  The truth is my children look homeless 78% of the time, except yesterday when they looked like upstanding citizens so I hurried and took a picture. 

 
Even dressed up, they're a bunch of goons. 
But they're my goons.

7 Wisecracks:

Tammy and Alvin said...

Amazing how much personality can burst out of a still picture! Love it! Did you finally decide to tell the truth because you were nervous you were on Santa's naughty list? Way to come clean. :)

Nicole said...

You're a wiz at percentages. You're in it right now, man. And you're doing an amazing job. Sticky surfaces are the proof. Hard evidence. And look at your kids willing to hug each other on command! They're on the same team!

wendy holt said...

They do look like upstanding citizens! Well done!

martinizing said...

I don't care what you say, you're a fun mom. Every year I tell myself I'm going to be more fun, like Melissa, and every year the very thought exhausts me. Your kids are great, and a little Mariokart is a great way to bond with your kid.

melissa said...

It probably would be if I actually played WITH him. Thanks, Bakenze. Every year I tell myself I'm going to run like Kenzie. Nope.

KQ said...

Well they look really happy to have a not fun mom. Miles cracks me up!

The Reiersens said...

Every fun mom has a Mr. Hyde AKA crazy mom! That's what makes us so awesome!!