Thursday, August 8, 2013

So Happy Together

As delightful as it was to spend a few days alone with Jeff, being away from the kids was harder than I thought it would be.  It turns out I really like them.  We met up with them at Topsail Island last Sunday for Jeff's family's annual beach trip.  Group hug!

I missed Harrison banging on the piano all the live long day.  He'll spend hours sitting at the piano trying to figure out how to play his favorite songs.  This summer we've been delighted by the Gravity Falls theme song and the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean.

I tried to call the kids every day while we were gone.  At the end of my conversations with Harrison, I'd tell him I loved him and he'd say, "Okay."

At least he lets me take GQ pictures of him on the beach.  I can be glad of that.

I missed Chloe's sweet smile and her humility.  She has no idea how awesome she is.  I keep telling her, but I don't think she believes me.

Chloe has spent the summer reading and hanging out with her mom.  Nerd.  When I talked with her on the phone and told her I loved her, she'd say, "[giggle giggle] Bye!" 

I knew what she meant.

When I talked to Miles on the phone, I asked him if he liked the beach.  He said, "I tasted the water and it tasteses gross.  I hate that water!  Everybody hates that water!  It's so gross!" 

You know what he hates worse than saltwater?  Sand on his feet.  "Look at my feet, Mommy!  Get the sand off my feet!"  He's always been weird about the sand.  Each year we hope he'll get over it.

However, when I called and told him I loved him, he said, "I miss you, Mommy.  I always love you and you're always my best friend.  I just love you so much!"  He spent his summer telling me that several times a day.  So I guess I can get over the fact that I didn't get one happy portrait of him at the beach.

7 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

These pictures are sublime. Harrison is turning out so handsome. I totally know what you mean when you say Chloe doesn't get how awesome she is. And I'd rather have a Mother Boy than a sand lover any day! Go Miles!

melissa said...

"Yeah, Mom's awesome."

Unknown said...

I totally get Miles' weirdness about the sand. I, too, hate the feel of sand on my feet which is why I am never fond of the beach. Based on my experience this means Miles may never get over it! Love the pics and blog. I can just hear you saying these things. So fun!

Unknown said...

Apparently I don't know what I'm doing when I post a comment. The above comment is from "Harper" (aka Sara Harper). Sorry about that.

melissa said...

How nice to hear from you, Harper! Except now I fear Miles is doomed to be a sand hater forever.

Unknown said...

No, he'll learn to love the beach because you'll figure out some fun and creative way to change his mind. My money's riding on you!!

Matt said...

I hope you didn't trademark "brain jail" as a saying because that is mint.

Matt in Vegas