Friday, December 13, 2013

The Great Russian Snow Angel

As I mentioned back on October, Chloe auditioned to dance in The Great Russian Nutcracker with the Moscow Ballet.  Here's a picture Jeff snapped with his phone from the room next door.  She was so nervous, but so determined to do her best.  There were 100 little girls there that day.  That's a lot of pressure.  (And a lot of bobby pins.)

She was cast as a "snow maiden", which in years past have been called "snow angels".  I think they were renamed so people who don't believe in angels wouldn't be offended.  She rehearsed once a week for the past month. 

The one performance was at the Peabody Opera House which is, quite possibly, the most beautiful theater I've ever seen in my life.  The snow maidens appeared in the final scene for a total of 30 seconds.  When the lights went down and the curtain closed, Jeff and I erupted into laughter.  He yelled (just loud enough for me to hear over the applause), "That's our Chloe!  She was in the Nutcracker!"
 
She really did do a lovely job and it was the most amazing Nutcracker I've ever seen.  Those Russians know how to dance!
 
I love this picture because it looks like I'm smothering her with my love and pride. 
 
We're so grateful she could enjoy this amazing opportunity in our lovely city.

2 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

So beautiful. That's going to be one of those magic memories for her.

(I went to Bridget's first choir concert and they had the grade school band performing as well. The band had six or seven numbers. When I saw that I thought I was going to die. Each of the pieces were 15 seconds long. I was so wishing I could laugh with someone, but I was sitting next to the grandma of one of the trombone players.)

Patti said...

I agree with Nicole. And you are good parents to take her to so many rehearsals so she could have that magic moment.