Wednesday, January 1, 2014

. . . and a Happy New Year!

For most holidays I'm happy to just take it easy and hang out with the kids.  New Year's Eve is not one of those holidays.  Somehow New Year's Eve without a party just feels sad.  This year Jeff really wanted to watch Duke play in the Chick-fil-a Bowl (mmmm. . . Chick-fil-a . . .), so we invited some Duke fans over to ring in the new year.
I decided to turn my sad Christmas tree into a Happy New Year tree.  Chloe helped me turn all my plain ornaments into clocks.  I think I might do this every year.
 
Drinking hot cider is more fun when it doubles as a get-to-know-you game.

Not many people could pull off this look.  Nora nails it.  I like having her around because she reminds me of two year old Chloe.

It's true.

Also true.

The Coopers brought a fun game called Tenzi, which was perfect because it was fun for all ages. 

Even Miles could play.  He couldn't win, but he could play.

Max let us know he meant business by wearing the Ebenezer Scrooge hat.  Don't mess.

This was my fortune for 2014.  Every time I see something like this, I think of David Sedaris picturing how easy it would be for someone in China to say, "Hey, I've got a cousin who lives in America.  Maybe we could have him take a look at this before we print a million of them."
 
After the sad/expected Duke loss, we counted down the New Year at 10:42pm.  Things got noisy very fast.
 
Almost Champagne Punch in almost wine glasses.  Almost classy.
 
This boy was in heaven with all the appetizers and football.  He said, "Thanks, Mom.  This is really fun."  Of course, he said it to Mandi (who looks nothing like me), but it still counts.
 
I'm going to stare at Jeff more in 2014.
 
Happy New Year!

4 Wisecracks:

Scott said...

Duke loss was sad... But it was a great game.

Unknown said...

When I read your posts I either laugh out loud or sigh with happiness.

Nicole said...

Staring is caring.

Patti said...

Fun times on New Year's Eve!