Saturday, April 5, 2014

Razzmatazz

Last night Harrison and Chloe performed in the elementary school talent show, Razzmatazz.  (That name always makes me giggle because it reminds me of an inappropriate SNL sketch.)  They have both been planning their acts for about a year now.  Expectations were very high.
Chloe decided that she wanted to do a ballet solo.  She insisted on choosing the music and the costume herself and did all the choreography, too.  She also wouldn't let anyone watch her rehearse and had basically just practiced in her head until about two weeks ago.  I don't know about other parents, but this sort of situation is pretty high anxiety for me.  I kept having to remind myself that this was an elementary school talent show and not an audition for Julliard.

So when she stepped out on stage during dress rehearsal and gave it her all, I was pretty relieved.  

Last night she performed all alone onstage in front of an auditorium filled with screaming kids and bored parents.  I don't know how she does it.

Here's the emcee asking her stupid questions after her performance.  It's hard to know what to do with your arms when you're wearing a tutu.



Sometime last year Harrison found some music online for the song "He's a Pirate" from the movie Pirates of the Caribbean.  He didn't love the version he found, so he made several changes to it so it would sound more like the actual song.  Then he played it nonstop for a year.  It's a hard song and a real crowd-pleaser, so he knew what he wanted to do for Razzmatazz.

He played it really well last night.  (Not that we could hear it much over the audience clapping to the beat.  Who does these things?)

Harrison had a nice ego boosting moment with the emcee after his performance.  I was glad Jeff kept the camera rolling so Harrison can watch it over and over again.


We were really proud of our kids for being brave enough to get up in front of everyone and for not being the worst acts in the show.  (Yikes.  My new least favorite "talent" is people playing chords on a keyboard while a loud eighties song plays over it.  Two kids did that.  What?!)  It was also nice to see that Chloe and Harrison are well liked.  I feel a little guilty about separating them from all of their fans next year.

8 Wisecracks:

Emily said...

And so you should. Number one fan. Right here. Feeling nothing but bitta-ness.

And swelling with undeserved personal pride that these two kids are so spectacular. I might have teared up during Chloe's dance. Well, maybe not totally undeserved. I DID teach them how to play Puppet Pals.

Patti said...

That. Was. Awesome!

Ashley said...

Awesome sauce. How cool was your little man under pressure! Handled that interview like a champ. And that second picture of Chloe? Be still, my heart.

Nicole said...

This made me cry like a baby. Dangit. So fun to see them grown up and doing scary stuff like that. I was Harrison's first piano teacher! And he's still playing anyway. :)

Annie said...

Your kids are so, so awesome.

kenzie said...

Your kids are so brave. It's hard enough as a parent just to keep your kid alive sometimes, but to let them potentially be subject to public humiliation adds to it 10 fold, I'm sure. I love C's confidence and H's creativity.

allyn said...

Ok,I read this a while sago without watching the clips. Of course I was so proud just looking at the pictures and reading your take on it, but now it is totally different. First of all, my daughters took ballet for a few years and the dances they did to nutcracker songs were not nearly as complex or well thought out as Chloe's. She really did that without any help? Amazing!
Second- Harrison's song was so well done! For sure a crowd pleaser, but equally difficult.
Third- your school actually does talent. Ours is mostly little girls lip syncing to some nasty pop song. And not even very good lip syncing. Be proud of that school, too!
Fans of h&c forever! That is what I am calling the new fan club I am starting.

Unknown said...

I am totally impressed with Harrison's piano skills. I'm totally showing this to S&S to inspire them to practice more. :)