Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Cakeway to the West

A few months ago I sat down to make a bucket list of everything I wanted to do in St. Louis before we moved.  In addition to everything we hadn't done, yet, I wanted to be sure we also had a chance to visit some of the places we've been to a million times.  I wasn't sure how I was going to fit it all in.  Then something awesome happened.  The city of St. Louis is turning 250 this year, so to honor this milestone, 250 birthday cakes have been placed throughout the city.  Happy Birthday to me!
As I mentioned before, Harrison and I found many in Forest Park during our book club meeting.  It sparked something and we continued cake hunting every few days.  Sometimes cakes were just around the corner and sometimes we had to drive all the way to Illinois to find them.  (Like the cake at the World's Largest Catsup Bottle in Collinsville, IL.)
There's no cake in this picture.  I just wanted to be sure this picture made it into our blog book.

Today we found our last cake at Sweetology.  It was our 150th cake!  We stayed and decorated our own cupcakes as we talked about our thrilling cake hunting adventures.  It's been so fun to spend time together and to see different parts of this city.  We checked everything off of our bucket list and then some.  Harrison named us O.C.H.O.  (Obsessive Cake Hunting Organization.)  I'm glad we'll leave town knowing that we saw as much of St. Louis as we could.  

We've been here during a very magical time in our family's life.  A time when we have to spend every second together because no one is old enough to be left home alone.  A time when playing with lightsabers and dressing up like princesses is awesome.  A time when they jump up and down when Daddy comes home and McDonald's is the greatest place on earth.  I think our memories of St. Louis are going to be very rosy because we were here during this magical time.  
A magical time when there's nothing you would rather do than drive around town with your mom looking for fake cakes.

4 Wisecracks:

Sarah said...

What an adventure :0)
You Maxwells will be missed!

Patti said...

I had never considered how the magic is made - togetherness. And in your kids' case, a mom who is willing to spend time with them doing fun things, like looking for fake cakes. St. Louis will always be a place of happy memories for them. Good job Mom!

Nicole said...

What a great description of this time of life! And every time I see the phrase "Cakeway to the West" I'm DELIGHTED. Every time! You are making your children interesting and engaging people. :)

Tammy and Alvin said...

Not sure if I'm more impressed that you visited so many cakes or that you got them all into one collage. Now must go eat more leftover birthday cake.