Monday, April 13, 2015

Spring Training with Bob and Peg

My Dad is a baseball fan from way back, so when I suggested that my parents should come down to Phoenix for Spring Training, he got all giddy and started making plans.

Mom and Dad showed up Saturday night with cookies, a baseball bat, and balls.  Party!

Monday morning I took them to Old Town Scottsdale where they received a warm welcome from the local bar scene.

A photo at the Love statue with your love is a must in Scottsdale.  After that we went to a Mexican imports store where my dad bought a Zorro hat and told Mom she had to call him "Bronco."  It was the best day.

Then I took them to eat at a place called Tacos and Tequilas (mostly because the thought of my parents at a restaurant called Tacos and Tequilas amused me).

Our first game was Mariners vs. Angels at the Tempe Diablo Stadium.  Dad taught us how to keep score while we sat in the hot, hot sun.  After that, Dad declared he had had enough baseball.  Ha!  

The next day we found seats in the shade at the Cubs vs. A's game and everyone was happy.  Also, we watched "Moneyball" the night before, and Dad thinks he probably saw Billy Beane at the game.

On day three, we went back to the heat of Diablo Stadium to watch the Indians vs. the Angels.

I don't care for peanuts (too much work for very little pay off), but these Cracker Jacks were a delightful way to pass the time.

[As you can imagine, people loved sitting behind us.]
There are many advantages to growing up in a family of ten.  However, quality time alone with your parents is not one of them.  Playing hookey from . . . whatever it is that I do and spending the day at a baseball game (or three) with my parents made me feel like the luckiest kid on the planet.

We didn't get to spend much time with Jeff and the kids, but I'm confident my parents will be back again to party.

[Photo by my five year old.]

4 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

So many great photos of Mom and Dad. What a fun vacation for them. Well played, Melissa. :)

Patti said...

Cool hats and cracker jacks. Hmmm... Maybe I could love baseball after all.

allyn said...

You have got to be the best hostess ever! And mom deserves a prize for enduring 3 days of baseball I the sun. Awesome pictures, as always, but that last one is priceless.

Tammy and Alvin said...

So fun! If the Cardinals had their spring training in AZ we'd come visit too. Go cardinals!