Saturday, October 27, 2007

Not Worth Mentioning

A few years ago I decided my life's dream was to win a cooking contest. Since this decision I have entered many chili cook-offs and dessert contests and even entered my cookies in the State Fair. I've never even come close to winning or even been mentioned honorably.

Tonight was our church's annual Fall Festival which includes a chili cook-off and pumpkin dessert contest. I decided to concentrate my efforts on the dessert contest and found a recipe for Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake. I recently bought a spring-form pan and have been learning the art of cheesecake baking. (Which, by the way, doomed our no sweets month. Sorry, Jeff. I blame myself entirely.) Cheescakes generally take about 5 1/2 hours to to complete. Not cool, but totally worth it. When my cheesecake came out of the oven, I declared it the prettiest thing I've ever made and took a picture of it.


We went to the party where Harrison and Chloe ate crackers and cheesecake for dinner.



They announced the winners of the chili cook-off (one winner and one honorable mention). Then they got to the desserts. Some sort of pumpkin cake won. Whoopee. Then they picked up my cheesecake pan (with one slice left) and announced that it was the honorable mention. I stood up and declared, "That's mine!" That's when I noticed the confusion at the dessert table. The cheesecake in the pan next to mine was, in fact, the dessert they wished to mention honorably. And just like that, my dream was shattered.



We had a good time and the kids enjoyed the trunk-or-treating. They're still awake and we're partaking of their bounteous candy. Here's a video of Harrison trying to eat a donut and win a whistle.


(To activate this video, click on the movie screen once and then click the play button.)

7 Wisecracks:

Rachael said...

If it makes you feel any better I entered my pumpkin crunch recipe and not only did it not win...I went home with more than half of it left. It didn't make me fell any better when Ry said "Well, I had a really big piece!"

Unknown said...

Well- If you feel the need to continue your "cheesecake baking practices" but need help disposing of the cheesecake, we will be there before thanksgiving to help you out. :) Sorry it didn't win. It looks really good.

Tammy and Alvin said...

Miriam asked to watch the video of Harrison over and over. We stopped after 3 times and had our own donut on a string event. Thankfully, I just went to Dunkin' Donuts yesterday!

Jami & Boys said...

hey, i wasn't a winner or honorable mention either -- i'll pronouce you my winner and maybe you can do the same for me. one positive for you . . . at least you remembered to bring your pan home -- i didn't, and therefore not only didn't win the contest but now am one cake pan (with matching lid) less than what i started out.

Jami & Boys said...

by the way, i "tagged" you -- see my blog for more details.

Ashley said...

Oooh, that reminds me of 8th grade cheerleading tryouts. (Don't worry, I was not involved.) The last name called was 'Stephanie..' and my friend, S Brundage, jumped up, so excited, just in time to hear "Merryll". Poor Brundage. But really, come on. With names like 'Ashley' and 'Stephanie' you learn early on to wait for the clarifying last name.

melissa said...

Thank you for your condolences. Now the healing can begin.