Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Ringing in the New Year

We spent New Year's Eve with Jeff's family and had a fun time participating in their family tradition. Every New Year's Eve everyone creates a "pinata" out of a paper bag by decorating it with drawings.

Harrison drew a picture of himself and his Aunt Amy. Amy drew a picture of our family. I don't know why we're so sad.

Then we take turns being blindfolded and trying to catch our pinatas.

Inside is a variety of snack cakes, pens, and post-it notes. This year they added pajamas. I believe the inclusion of pens and post-its started when Jeff's parents were poor students and it was their parent's tricksy way of giving them the office supplies they needed.

This was the first time I had participated in the tradition, which is weird because we've been married for nearly six years. Now that I know new pens are involved, I'll be sure to do it again.

What are your New Year's traditions?

5 Wisecracks:

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Allegedly my mom married my dad because he can cook. He doesn't do it often, but when he does - man oh manicotti. He always makes the most amazing manicotti (actually, it's canneloni, but we've never corrected ourselves) on New Year's Day.

Ted said...

Yeah, those are always the best pens. Mine were always lost in like two days. We also used to get our own scotch tape! Don't forget the Cracker Jack! I love that stuff. After is was all done the best part was the trading. Dad is always the one to watch, I mean 2 twinkies for an oatmeal cream pie? Gimme a break!

melissa said...

No Cracker Jacks this year, man. I guess they don't make them in little boxes anymore. I'll b@e sure to put my pens in a safe place. We missed you guys

Nicole said...

I like the Maxwell tradition for New Year's Eve. It's better than shooting guns at midnight while standing on the deck and listening to kids cry. That's what we do. Btw, where is Ted's Two Cents? I've missed it as I've cruised the blog neighborhood. Will I have to wait until he does his civic duty again?

Unknown said...

nice tradition. You guys are super creative.
Scott's family does a Talent show every new years. I told my family about it and now they do a talent show every new years. Unfortunately we are the only family that never attends these talent shows. ...but we hear a lot about them. Maybe someday...