Monday, February 18, 2008

Potty Training Diary--Day 1

I cleared my schedule for the week to start potty training Chloe. She was showing signs of readiness and I was tired of my couch not smelling like urine, so I figured we'd give it a go. I put her in underpants and had her chug sugar-free lemonade. An hour later I sat her on the potty and read her stories for about 10 minutes. When nothing happened, I told her we would try again later. Then she'd go pee somewhere and we'd start the whole dance over again.
We discovered that those giant ziploc bags will hold a couch cushion, so bonus! She did wake up dry from her nap, but other than that there were no victories today.
Total carnage: 5 accidents, 7 towels, 6 pairs of underpants, 2 dresses and one cushion.

I know the most important thing for me to do is stay positive. And I am positive she will never figure this out.

5 Wisecracks:

Unknown said...

Good luck! I am looking forward to reading your diary on this matter. We have been trying to encourage Justin in this area. So far all we have succeed in doing is increasing the diaper usage. Now he wants us to change his diaper every time a drop leaks out AFTER he has gone to bed. Go figure.

Nicole said...

Oh, Melissa. It's so so funny because it's not happening to me. I, too, will be following this diary with great interest. (Did you put all the couch cushions in Zip-lock bags? Just the damaged one to seal in freshness?)

melissa said...

EWWW! We removed the damaged one and sprayed it with cat urine remover spray and then had her sit on the ziplocked coshion from then on.

Greg said...

Ugh potty training!!
Connor got it, but would have a little accident before he'd realize he had to go, then run to the bathroom and do the rest in the potty. Not exactly what I had in mind.
After a month of daily little accidents I asked the dr. and he said that kids potty train when they're ready. You can start whenever you want, but your child won't get it until they are ready.
Connor understood the concept, but his body wasn't quite ready. So I stopped, 6 months later Connor came to me and said I have to go potty, and ran in, took off his diaper and went on the potty. Never had an accident since, naps and bedtime too.
If only the dr. had given me that advice to begin with!!

melissa said...

I agree. They definitely need to be ready, otherwise they are training you. This is the method we used with Harrison and he figured it out by day three. He had a handful of accidents over the next month, but that was it. Here's hopin'.