Monday, May 26, 2008

Land That I Love

We made it! Our neverending journey finally ended and our Internet was just hooked up so we're back among the blogging. Here are some of the highlights and lowlights of our trek West:

Day 1: NC, VA, WV, KY and IN
We begin our journey in Cary, NC and head North. It rains a lot. We're totally pumped and in the road trip zone until we hit a portion of highway in Virginia where we are forced to merge three lanes into one for "tunnel construction." An hour later, we reach the tunnel and while there are plenty of barrels on the road, no construction is going on. Curse you, Virginia DOT! We arrive at Jeff's brother's house in Indiana ready to drop.

Day 2: IN, IL, MO
Jeff's brother, Ted, makes us breakfast and then he and Aubrie take us to their secret lab in the forest. Telescopes are big!

My allergies hit their peak and I feel like rubbing off my corneas. My eyes get red and puffy. We order pizza at a local St. Louis eatery and are served what appears to be a giant cracker topped with Kraft singles. As I take my first bite, I am immediately burned and a blister appears on my lip. We head to Busch Stadium for a Cardinals game where be pay $20 for parking. Once we get out of the car, Chloe urinates on me. With my red, puffy eyes, burned lip, and wet shirt I am a vision.

We assume the kids will last a maximum of two innings. Thanks to the magic of popcorn, they watch the entire game! The Cards lost, but it felt like a victory to us.

Day 3: MO, NB
With nothing to look forward to, we decide to get milkshakes once we hit Nebraska. Once we hit Nebraska, we get milkshakes.

Also, we found Mormon Island! WE FOUND IT! The treasure is ours! (What the heck IS that place, anyway?)

Day 4: NB, WY, UT
A tape of my dad singing opera gets stuck in the tape player and we can no longer listen to the iPod or Wee Sing. Anarchy ensues.

We finally reach my parent's house in Utah and discover they put in a new trampoline! Hooray for Utah!



11 Wisecracks:

Anonymous said...

St Louis style pizza:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-style_pizza

melissa said...

Bummer that provel cheese is not available outside ths St. Louis area, eh? Let me answer my question with an answer: No, it's not!

I should have mentioned that before I was scalded by almost cheese, we tried some toasted ravioli and it was extra tasty crispy.

allyn said...

you win the trooper award. i don't know why, but for some reason i wasn't picturing you driving in your nissan. i guess cross-country trips always mean a big car to me. it sounds like good times. awesome picture from the cardinal game with the arch in the background. you guys look cute there, too, as usual. glad you made it safe and sound and that you can continue entertaining me on your blog. i was going through serious withdrawl.

Nicole said...

That picture of Chloe and Mom (before the dandelion presentation) is the funniest thing I've seen all day. And I watched our husbands box today. Welcome back to the blogosphere! I missed you and you are right here. :)

Heidi said...

Congrats on making it through your journey! I'm glad to hear your safe and sound. I've missed your blog. glad to have you back!

Emma said...

Yay! Glad you made to Utah all in one piece ;). And Mormon Island? Wow...no comment...
Good luck with unpacking!

Kimberly said...

Waahhh! Can I tell you how sad I was the day I knew you guys were leaving? I mean, we didn't get to hang out much with you in Chapel Hill and us in Greenville, but still, Wahhhh!

Good job making it across the country in four days. I'm also glad Harrison and Chloe didn't chose to scream every time you approached the car like after your Vermont trip.

How long until you can move back?

melissa said...

Actually, the last day when we stopped at a rest stop in Wyoming and tried to get Harrison back in the car he started screaming, "NO! I WON'T GO BACK! NO!!!"

Jen said...

A tape of Dad singing....hahahahahaha!!!! That is funny.

Alice said...

I found your blog through ...I can't remember. You made me laugh out loud with your descriptions of your trip. Thanks. I feel better.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a trip! :) I am glad everyone survived. I had no idea about St. Louis pizza! I wonder if you can find regular pizza there too. LOVED the slide show!