Monday, June 2, 2008

Shirley you jest.


On Saturday we drove up to Pocatello, Idaho to visit my Grandma Shirley and Grandpa Curtis. (That's a really bad picture of my grandma. She was showing off the bracelet I made her.) All trips to Pocatello to visit the g-parents must include a meal at the Golden Corral. Grandma Shirley likes to get there an hour before her out-of-town guests so she can eat all her food before they get there and talk all she wants once they arrive. When we arrived at Noon, she was still working on her lunch (which included a bowl of grapes, a bowl of sliced green peppers, a bowl of diced green peppers, a plate full of watermelon, and a bowl with one chicken finger in it). The rest of us finished eating and the kids were ready to go, so Grandma ended up wrapping her remaining green peppers in a napkin and stuffing them in her purse.

Next we headed to the Pine Ridge Mall to take the kids to the indoor playground. Despite the fact that it was a perfect day to go to a REAL park, Curtis and Shirley were set on going to the indoor playground to see if my kids were as cute as my cousin's kids playing on the indoor playground. Hello! Of course they are cuter!

My grandparents are very kind, very quirky people. I could have a blog devoted entirely to their quirks, but I will refrain and just tell my favorite story.

Three years ago I was talking to my grandma and reminded her that my birthday was coming up and I was a huge fan of her raspberry jam. A few weeks later, we came home from a week at the beach to find a large package in our mailbox. Here's what grandma did:
Step 1--She filled two small dixie cups with her delicious jam.
Step 2--She flattened the cups slightly and covered the tops with seran wrap and duct tape.
Step 3--She wrapped them in paper towels and placed them in a large, flat mailing envelope.
Step 4--She mailed it.
Step 5--It sat in my mailbox under the summer sun for about a week.

Included in the package was this sticky note:


As we left their house on Saturday, Grandma Shirley handed me a bag with bread and jam. She said she felt like she owed me since the dixie cup jam didn't work out so well. When we got in the car, I opened the bag and found what used to be a jar of baby lotion now filled with jam. I don't know about the jam, but the bread was delicious!

8 Wisecracks:

Kate said...

Oh my goodness! Too funny! The green peppers are awesome...

Gotta love the quirky family members. My great aunt used to line her purse with a grocery bag anytime she went to a party or dinner. In the buffet line she would put a scoop of food on her plate, then a scoop of food into her purse. Sometimes she threw the serving utensil in as well (but only if it was silver). I guess they make life a lot more interesting!

allyn said...

did grandma make the bread, too? you know, it really is amazing that she still makes the jam, with all her ailments and such.
that picture of harrison looking at grandpa is pretty hilarious.
sorry they didn't do anything else that was quirky. missing a beautiful day is pretty quirky, though.

Patti said...

I love that you have a picture of the note! You forgot to mention that Grandma Shirley always puts their ages on everything. That's my favorite thing! And thanks for the Japanese Office link! Brilliant! :D

Patti said...

I love that you have a picture of the note! You forgot to mention that Grandma Shirley always puts their ages on everything. That's my favorite thing! And thanks for the Japanese Office link! Brilliant! :D

Jen said...

Ditto Patti. I can't believe you scanned the note. Hilarious.

melissa said...

She didn't bake the bread herself. It was from Geraldine's Bake Shop. One more reason to go to Pocatello! (Because, as grandma says, you need two reasons to go anywhere.)

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

that is AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I love Grandma Shirley and Grandparents in general. What is it that we are going to do when we are grandmas that will make our grandchildren write posts about our quirkiness?!?!?

My Grandpa always tried to scare us by pushing out his false teeth with his tongue. We would ask him to do it over and over again. He also repaired our bicycles (which seemed to be always broken) every time he came to visit. And My Grandma Claire always had silver Dollars for us in her purse. Our other Grandma sent us underwear 3 sizes to large for christmas each year or something equally awful like orange lipstick....