Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I'm Thankful for the Beach

When I was 12 my family moved from Utah to North Carolina.  Earlier that year one of my sister's had taken a trip to California.  Someone in the family decided it was of the utmost import for that sister to visit the Atlantic Ocean before heading back west for college.  ("So she can say she's been coast to coast in one year!") 


So one Saturday the ten of us hopped into the station wagon and drove three hours to Wrightsville Beach.  Someone else in the family had to work that day, so our trip was going to be short.  We stepped out of the car fully clothed and made our way through the obstacle course of scantily clad beach bums.  (My Dad probably left the suit jacket at home, but I guarantee he was in nice slacks.)

We dipped our feet in the ocean and piled back in the car.  On our way back to town there was a truck full of free cans of Fresca.  I think we were all allowed to share a few cans.  That wasy my first experience with the beach.

After that our family beach trips consisted of packing a cooler full of sandwiches, driving to the beach for the day, and coming home sunburned and covered in sand.  The beach never seemed as fun and peaceful in real life as it was in the movies. . . . until I married into Jeff's family.

Every summer Jeff's parents rent a beach house for a week and we are all invited to come and enjoy it.  This year they decided to rent a house for Thanksgiving and to say that we had been looking forward to this would be the understatement of the year.

The trip was delightful and just the break that we all needed.  I came away feeling thankful for so many things and I'd like to take the next few posts to list them. 



First of all, I'm thankful for beach trips where I get to stay longer than 10 minutes.

8 Wisecracks:

Mom said...

I admit ten minute beach trips don't do much for a person, but I need to point out that we spent a wonderful week at the beach before you married into Jeff's family. Love the photos - keep 'em comin'!

Unknown said...

The beach at Thanksgiving?! Awesome! I am writing that one down for next year!! lol.

Gorgeous pictures. I am relaxed just from looking at them.

Jess said...

I also love your pictures. Very beautiful. That sounds like a fabulous Thanksgiving. Looking forward to the gratitude list.

Annie Jarman said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos!

I love North Carolina beaches. Only been there once, but I'm dying to go back.

Nicole said...

I have a picture from that beach "trip" - I was THEE sister who went coast to coast in the same year (choir trip to California a few months before we moved). That was back when Mom and Dad were a little ridiculous. (I can say that b/c now they do things right. No more Flanagan Family Vacations.)

Your photos are amazing. Love the perspective and the peace. NICE.

KQ said...

Beautiful pictures. I can't wait to move to the beach next month!

martinizing said...

I don't remember the Fresca. That's funny. Actually, I don't remember that beach trip at all. I do remember the one our family took before you and i got married. We shared a blanket on the beach to watch fireworks while our sisters made out with their husbands. Good times.

Jen said...

Yo- I'm pretty sure there was no making out in my family as Weston was 6 weeks old.