Thursday, February 25, 2010

MY Life in France

I mentioned in my happy place post that my book club selection for this month was My Life in France by Julia Child.  For those of you who enjoyed the movie Julie and Julia but were left thinking, "Hmm.  I wish that movie had been all about Julia Child and not at all about that self-absorbed potty mouth Julie Powell," this book is for you!

What first struck me about the book were the beautiful pictures of France that Julia Child's husband, Paul, had taken and that were included in the book.  They were gorgeous!  Then I remembered that I, too, had been to France and had taken a few pictures.  So for my self-imposed photography assignment for the week, I dug them out.  (BTW, I have been doing my weekly photography assignments.  I just haven't been labeling them as such.  I'll start doing that now.) 

I give you . . . Paris, 1998!

Street Scene taken from the back of the bus.

This is the Eiffel Tower.  It's kind of famous.
The view from my hotel room.
The Musee D'Orsay.  Name a famous artist.  Something of theirs is in this museum.
Just to prove I was actually there.

"The sweetness and generosity and politeness and gentleness and humanity of the French had shown me how lovely life can be if one takes time to be friendly."--Julia Child 

8 Wisecracks:

Kimberly said...

I loved the book! I listened to it on tape during a road trip, so I missed out on the pictures, but it was great great great. Your pictures of France are way better than mine. But too many of mine include weird faces made by my brother.

Nicole said...

You read my mind. Stupid Julie Powell. It's only because I know you that I believe that's you in the last photo. (What a cool photo, btw.) Also, it is one of the great miscarriages of justice that you went to France as a teenager and that I have never been. MARSHA! MARSHA! MARSHA!

:)

allyn said...

those are awesome. did you know then that you had the knack for photography? ("knack" was one of lilja's spelling words this week. she kept asking me what it meant. the dictionary definition didn't help and, of course, i was at a loss for words.) i thought you had stolen them from paul. where did you get that bag? i don't remember it.

Mom said...

Are you sure you didn't get those pictures from a magazine? Maybe the bag was Allyn's and she just forgot she had it because you took it. :) I'm so happy to have a new book to read - can't wait to go buy it!

wendy holt said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Musee D'Orsay! My most favorite ever!! We should go to the SL art Museum and compare notes of our time in France. We could even talk in fake accents and try to be cool. I mean I would try to be cool, YOU are obviously way cooler than I am!

Emily said...

I still want to see you photoshopped into Paul and Julia's Valentine Greeting Card. You shouldn't try to replace anyone, just stick yourself in there somewhere!

melissa said...

Allyn, I think I bought that bag specifically for this trip. You must have been too busy falling in love that summer to notice. :)

Emily, look at you not stalking me, anymore! I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to photoshop myself into that picture. But it would be hilarious! Now I have to do it!

Unknown said...

Oh, I love the last picture! I totally can't tell that you are not french. hehehe

Oh, how I wish I could go too. I will have to settle for reading the book for now. Thanks for the recommendation!