Monday, May 3, 2010

Birthday S.O.S.!

My chubby baby turns one year old in a couple of weeks.  Usually I ask my kids what they want for their birthday and (because it's usually pretty reasonable) then we make all their dreams come true.  Since Miles can't talk, yet, I'm at a loss.  I mean, do I get a moonbounce with or without a slide?  How many actors dressed as Disney characters do I hire?  Should I book the pony rides for the whole day, or just the first three hours of the party?  How do I whittle the guest list down to just 25 of his BFF's and their parents?  DJ vs. Band?  Do I give him his new puppy before or after the party?  How many birthday cakes should I make?  Just the three?  (One for Miles, one for grownups, and one for kids.)  Which is a better theme: "Seasons Change" or "Avatar"?  And don't get me started on what to put in everyone's goody bags!  Anyways, since Miles refuses to tell me what he wants, do you have any suggestions?

But seriously folks, does anyone have any fun first birthday suggestions?

5 Wisecracks:

Tammy and Alvin said...

Maybe you could have Miles pop out of the cake and surprise everyone!

Or, kids love boxes, right? Maybe you could read the cute picture book "Not a box" and then use your imagination and play with cardboard boxes.

Is the goal to make it fun for Miles or the rest of the family (guests)?

Good luck!

melissa said...

Good question. I guess the goal is to make it special for Miles. The guests will consist of his immediate family. I just wondered if anyone had any special first birthday traditions.

Kasey Q said...

We don't really have any traditions, but we always have a theme and invite the family. The theme makes it fun for the older cousins. We've had butterflies and ladybugs for Hollyn, UNC basketball for Greyson, and Down on the Farm for Colt. I think Colt's went the best. We played games like "Mr. Fox stole Mrs. Cluck's eggs" where easter eggs (empty were hidden) and they had to find them. The winner got a horse to ride on (the head with the stick) that I found at the dollar store and the others got little chicks that were in a 4 pack also at the dollar store. We also played pin the tail on the cow. Colt wore a cowboy hat instead of a b-day hat, and we had a cake in the shape of a tractor that Troy frosted to look like a John Deere. It was very inexpensive, but a lot of fun. For goodie bags for the older cousins, I just found a bunch of farm stuff at the dollar tree, and put farm stickers on little bottles of bubbles that I got at Target's party section. SUPER EASY!

allyn said...

i am the lamest party planner ever doing it mostly last minute. i think we ate cake at noah's. our/my tradition is to keep the one candle they blow out and put it in their file box of life that i keep for each child (youknow-instead of a scrapbook).

how fun for mr. m, though. why do i not remember anyone's birthday from last year? it all happened so suddenly, i suppose; hen, miles, claire.

Uno Kidney said...

Last year for little homie (aka; Junior Birdman) I made a birthday banner out of fabric (75% Mama Lue 25% Lizzie) That says Happy Birthday Gram, and then the BEST part...we had a Pimp Your Cupcake party, wherein I made gigantic cupcakes (two flavors) had some frosting (two or three or ten flavors) and then all kinds of toppings that people could decorate the heck out of their cupcake. It was so much fun. Fun for everyone. (All done in the backyard to preserve the carpet)....