Monday, May 24, 2010

Narnia

Last week we finished The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.  I don't know exactly what it was, but something about this story really spoke to the kids.  The absolutely loved it!  As we were nearing the end of the book, Harrison asked, "What are we going to do for our party?"  I shrugged and said maybe they could dress up as their favorite character in the book.  They immediately got to work on their costumes.  Harrison had me buy him a foam sword ("They're at Target, Mom.  In the front."  How did he know that?) and he made a shield out of cardboard so he could be Peter.  Chloe spent the day as Lucy.  She adored Lucy.  I think the idea that a little girl like her could be so important was empowering for Chloe. 

(Look what I found in my yard this morning!)

Reading this book to them at bedtime worried me a bit.  It's all edge-of-your-seat action and life and death situations so there wasn't ever a good stopping point.  I'd end each night with " . . . and we'll find out tomorrow if they lived."  Neither of them seemed to have trouble sleeping, though.

The movie (the new Disney/Walden Media version) is one of the most beautifully photographed films I've ever seen.  (Of course it was filmed in New Zealand which is #1 on my Dreamy Places to Visit List.)  It's also very scary, even for me.  When you read the book, your imagination can decide how scary you want something to be.  With the film, they had to actually show it.  Tilda Swinton as the White Witch makes me feel scared inside.  (Let's be honest: Tilda Swinton as herself makes me feel scared inside.)  When I asked Chloe if the movie was scary, she said, "Just a little bit."  She said the only scary part was when they almost drowned in a water rapid.  That part wasn't in the book, so I think it surprised her.  Overall, they both loved Narnia.

8 Wisecracks:

allyn said...

ummm...the pictures of your beautiful peonies (is that what they are?) are spectacular. i could almost touch each petal.

i am so glad the kids loved narnia. i don't know what it is either, but it is hypnotizing for the kids.
tilda swinton in benjamin button totally scared me. especially the part when she came out of the english chanel all wet and stuff. yeeee.

Jess said...

Love Narnia. I'm surprised that Chloe could love it so much at her age, maybe Emmett would be ready... maybe? Such beautiful flower pictures. Your yard must be so beautiful.

Annie Jarman said...

Oh my, I am desperately in love with those flowers.

Nicole said...

It's funny about the empowering girl stuff. Fiona being all tough was Bridget's favorite part of the new Shrek movie.

Peonies are my favorite flower EVER. You are luckeeeeeeee.

Kristina said...

Love that book and really love your blog!

kenzie said...

love your flowers!!! They're so girly. And Narnia rocks.

Greg said...

If I lived by you I would sneak into your yard and steal some of those flowers for my kitchen table.
I'm not ashamed.

Thanks for the update. My kids have super over-active imaginations so we'll have to wait on this one.
I'm so glad I have you to preview all these things for me so I don't have to. You're the BEST!!

What's next???

melissa said...

The next book is The Tale of Despereaux (see sidebar).